Sunday, May 26, 2013

Re: [papercreters] Recipe for Newbie



I bought this:
 
Northern Industrial Portable Cement Mixer with Poly Drum - 2 Cubic Ft., 250 Watt, Model# PCM185
 
I know this isn't very big, but since I'm not real strong and will likely be doing these projects by myself, I didn't want to have to try and create a load and couldn't handle by myself.  I expect to make several small batches.  Adjusting a recipe to suit would be awesome :)
 
Mother

From: Alan <rustaholic777@yahoo.com>
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2013 2:15 PM
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Recipe for Newbie
 
Spaceman,
You must have been in a hurry because Mom said she had, "tons and tons of shredded paper."
 
Mom, We do need to know what you mean by, "I have a portable mixer."
 
Alan
--- On Sat, 5/25/13, spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net> wrote:

From: spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net>
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Recipe for Newbie
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, May 25, 2013, 1:37 PM

Recipes vary a lot depending on the final use of the papercrete. The one I use mostly is about ten pounds of portland cement, five pounds of borax, sixty pounds of dry paper, and enough water to mix, between 150 and 200 gallons. This makes a two mixer full. For durability I increase the portland to paper ratio as much as 1:1. I've seen recipes going up to 4:1 cement to paper, but that always seemed like overkill to me.When you say portable mixer, are you talking about a concrete mixer or mortar mixer? Neither of those is ideal for papercrete though it will eventually do it. If that's what you have you probably want to shred your paper first.I think there are still some recipes in the files area of the group, I'm running late and can't go check right now.spacemanOn 5/25/2013 9:58 AM, motherreiver wrote:> Hello all!>> I'm new to this forum but have been watching for a while, and I see I am amongst some papercrete experts :)  I am starting my very first papercrete project and would like your advice on how to begin.>> I have a portable mixer, bought some Portland cement, sand, and have tons and tons of shredded paper.  What I want to do is to create a papercrete short garden wall(s) (probably about 2' high and 4' wide - arched ea.) to plant along my granite hill to add some good dirt and flowers to dot the side of my hill and make use of some good water run off.  Also, I plan to have "stairs" dug in the dirt going up the hill where I would like to make some papercrete stepping stones to make it easier to get up that hill.>> Can you help me with initial recipes (such as how many parts of each ingredient) to make a nice mix to accomplish these goals?>> I thank you all so much for any help you can provide :)>> Mother>>>>> ------------------------------------>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>>>> -----> No virus found in this message.> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com> Version: 2013.0.3343 / Virus Database: 3184/6356 - Release Date: 05/25/13>>------------------------------------Yahoo! Groups Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/<*> Your email settings:    Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to:    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join    (Yahoo! ID required)<*> To change settings via email:    papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com     papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:    papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___