Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Re: [papercreters] Re: Borax



I may never return to hypertufa!!!   LOL  Once garden walls are in place and stepping stones, I hope to make a variety of large pots and troughs for planting outside (my home is literally on a rock).  I hope that I can also, with the right mixture/texture, be able to press it around the outside of an old plastic bucket or trough and turn it into something new and interesting.

From: spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net>
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Borax
 
Nails don't work well but screws work great. You can saw it and paint it, it soaks up paint like it does water - like  a sponge. I used to make panels over sized and then trim them to size after they were completely dry. Nowadays I know my mix well enough that I know how much larger to make forms so it shrinks to the size I need without trimming.

I find that papercrete works a lot like potter's clay at the right stage.

On 5/28/2013 3:42 PM, MotherReiver wrote:
Interesting idea :)  I have so much shredded paper to get rid of, that is what I will use otherwise I would have gone the hypertufa route, but I think papercrete will produce an exceptional product and is stronger than hypertufa (for stepping stones anyway); I've got a couple of forms built, now to catch my breath :)  I read somewhere that papercrete can be painted, sawed, and nailed like wood can, might come in handy if true.  When hypertufa gets "leather-hard" I can scrape edges to smooth and carve in designs.  Does papercrete have a "leather-hard" stage?



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___