Sunday, May 26, 2013

RE: [papercreters] Re: Recipe for Newbie



I went over to using it last year and was very happy with the result. Mostly it was for a floor that came out excellent and plaster that is also very nice. What a relief not having to get the tow mixer hooked up. I mixed it in a mortar boat and it was a pleasure to work with. I did have to soak it for a while before adding cement and mixing but I had no problem with that. The other thing I appreciate about it was being able to mix smaller batches. Working alone it's really hard to use an entire mixer load.



Follow progress on the new project on my papercrete Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Papercrete/390380804327169

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 21:09:20 -0600
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Recipe for Newbie

 
That sounds like an excellent application for pc from cellulose
insulation. No high strength needed, and it is capped with a hard
surface so it can't wear. The fire/bug/mold resistance is built in. My
experience with panels and cast in place pc is that using equivalent
formulas to mix, the cellulose insulation product has less tensile
strength, less compressive strength, and will crumble easily. You can
tell the difference between panels by knocking on them. Cellulose pc
gives a dull thud, regular pc sounds like you are hitting wood.

Advantages include that it is a lot easier to mix cellulose insulation.
For me the biggest disadvantage was the cost. Here a two cubic foot
package runs over $12, definitely not in my budget. To get it cheaper I
would have to rent/hire a truck and travel over 500 miles to the nearest
manufacturer and buy in bulk more than I need. Also not in my budget.
For someone who lives near a manufacturer and has an application like
yours where the strength is not so important, and the budget to buy the
material, it could be ideal.

On 5/26/2013 7:18 PM, john_mc999 wrote:
> Spaceman,
>
> I used cellulose insulation as the fiber source in some PC mix. Added lime as well. Used it as a floated subfloor capped with tile and grouted. Its been outdoors as a patio for 10 years and its working well.
>
>
>
>




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___