Friday, May 31, 2013

Re: [papercreters] Simplicity



I can usually move things carefully in a couple of days, sometimes the next day if the wind is blowing. It takes a couple of weeks to get hardness. Complete curing and drying takes months. I live in a desert where the humidity is low and the temperature is high.

The cure/dry time is a factor of air circulation, humidity, temperature, thickness, shape, your recipe, and of course the initial water content depending on draining, compression, like that.

After a few batches you'll get a feel for how soon you can move it. I have seen videos of Mike McCain moving green 12x12x18 blocks the day after pouring. The preferred way is to use slip forms or regular full forms so you can pour in place, remove the forms usually within hours, and then not worry about it. In a while it will get hard.

On 5/31/2013 8:32 PM, MotherReiver wrote:
I know you guys told me in one of these prior threads, but for the life of me I can't find it.  How long does it take to dry papercrete?  I went outside and (missing the difference between hypertufa stages of drying and papercrete) the first thing I did was ruin the bowl!  I guess I'll keep my fingers off.  What is the cure time?




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___