Friday, July 27, 2007

RE: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete for raised bed walls?

I'm just a lurker because I am just absorbing all the great info this site has to offer, but maybe I can  help with the raised planter boxes.  I just made one out of 4 inch thick styrofoam.  I covered it with a cement mixture.  It worked great.  It's almost 8 feet long and about 2 foot wide and 2 foot high and not that heavy.  I did the 8 foot long part as one part but the next time I think I will split that up and put it together in place.  It wasn't hard to move but it did take some time to do and I needed help turning the monster over:)  The side pieces were easy to do and move when I needed to.
 
Anyway, hope this gives you another alterative.  I can wait to try some papercrete!  I might use it over strofoam as I've been collecting styrofoam from construction sites for some time.
Aline
-----Original Message-----
From: papercreters@yahoogroups.com [mailto:papercreters@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of gobugus
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 1:44 PM
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete for raised bed walls?



Chris, Your box idea is interesting. I have gardened in raised boxes
for decades, and my next set of boxes need to be constructed before
winter so they will be ready next spring. I was thinking of using thin
shell cement on a stucco mesh for the box. Now you have me thinking
about adding papercrete to that surface. I like your idea of a trolley,
but the papercrete alone may not support much weight. Bury the
sprinkler pipes in papercrete. It could help stabilize the shape during
the cure. I had my first papercrete block placed beneath the house
downspout so I could see how it survived contact with the soil and
excess moisture. It did not swell, break, or support mold or fungus, so
I think it would be a good material for a garden box. It could be worth
considering to add some acrylic which will probably improve the water
exposure issue. Good luck, post pictures. I think the papercrete could
also make an interesting cold frame. Gary

__._,_.___


SPONSORED LINKS
Home repair improvement Papercrete International building code
Home and gardens 2000 international building code

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___