Thursday, July 26, 2007

Re: [papercreters] Re: Paper create -new to field

Ernie, at my Lowes web page they have a standard 60# mortar mix for $3.80.  Just mixing 94# Portland cement @$10.80 and 4 bags of 50# play sand @$3.27 gives 60# of mortar for about $4.87, but that's without the lime.   I would buy either the standard mortar mix for $3.80 or the Profinish mortar mix for $5.20, just to get the lime and avoid mixing.  
 
But I agree with you that since she has to mix anyway, the best would be to have a truckload of sand delivered.   Just dump it -- she doesn't need to "store" it.   Then buy bags of masonry cement to mix with the paper to get lime -- if you want it.
 
Neal 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:06 PM
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Paper create -new to field

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Nelda Percival"
<nelda_percival@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Earnie,
> No I meant time wise. I have only so much money per month to spend.

Ahhh, gotcha. You are starting early, which is good.

> I have no mixers, I have nothing... so where do I start... (For
> outside I will buy a air compressor and a hopper.)

If you are tight on money and good with your hands, you can build
your own sprayer. There are plans out there. The air compressor you
can check pawn shops, free cycle, ebay local and craigslist for the
best deal. Go as large as you can within your budget, sprayers take
alot of air. Something in the 3 HP, 20+ gallon range would be good.

> If you have no place to store a truck load of>?? then the expense
> is ok! FOR premix...(fully premixt just add water and use... Opps
> don't forget to add the paper...

Sorry, I should have been clearer. You don't need to have space for
truckloads to mix it yourself. Using my local Lowes for pricing (the
web is wonderful), I can buy 60lb of mortar mix for $5.00. If I were
to mix the same thing myself from a 95 bag of portland and a few bags
of sand, my cost is about $4.29 for 60 lb (same store prices). Since
you HAVE to mix PC anyway, why pay 15 percent more? Also, small
quantities vary radically in price from place to place, so call
around. You may have a local cement plant whose bag price is alot
better than the home stores.

> Tools?? I have no idea since I have never done this....

For the size project you have, if you are not going to buy or build a
tow mixer, I would buy two other things. A pressure washer for
pulping paper and a cement mixer for mixing the PC. You can do this
stuff with a drill, but you will be taking forever to do enough for
walls.

Harbor Freight has a very cement mixer that goes on sale a couple
times a year for $99 (http://tinyurl.com/3bb8sd). If you go in and
sign up for their email and print ad's, they will also send you a 15%
off any one item coupons periodically, making your cost around $85.
That's a steal.

Pressure washers are not as easy to come by cheap, but maybe someone
else has a good tip on that. If not, craigslist, ebay, freecycle and
pawn shops again. heh. Oh, and maybe the local 'sell it yourself'
paper. And you will need a turbo nozzle, see earlier discussions of
that on the list.

For smaller tools I am sure you have alot of them, but shovels,
buckets (you can never have too many), a mortar pan, trowels and
floats, plenty of garden hose, etc.

Lastly just a couple more things to consider. Have you got a source
of paper already? If not, see if you can get it preshredded for you.
Your local college, recycling center / shredder, and local businesses
might be willing only they find out it will be pulped. Just makes the
pulping a bit easier.

Hope I did not give too much info, soon people will accuse me of
writing novella's like SG. =P

- Ernie

__._,_.___


SPONSORED LINKS
Home repair improvement Papercrete Uniform building code
1997 uniform building code Uniform building code online

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___