Friday, July 27, 2007

[papercreters] re: Tool Stores

Just to collect some more info under this topic...

Ernie write:

>I have had mostly good luck. Lights there are a crap shoot.

>They have two different head lamps, one which has lasted me about 5-6

>jobs so far and is in good shape, the other which fell apart on the

>first job.

Same here. I had one of those headlamps and it worked ok, but it was too heavy and wouldn't stay on your head very well. Then the foam piece that protects your forehead popped out and I had to reglue it. Then mice chewed up the strap...ok, can't blame Harbor Freight for THAT. <grin>

>The mixer I mentioned seems to get good reviews. I like their drills

>for the most part, although they are not for really heavy duty use. The

>multimeters are not great, but for less than $4 I can afford to throw

>them away once a year.


Yeah, I've had a couple of those cheap multimeters too. They're better then the cheap RatShack one I used to use (damaged in a fall) and inexpensive enough that I can leave 'em in the car, give 'em to friends, etc. These go on sale regularly for about $3. I found one in their clearance section that's a thinline (about 3/8" thick) which is really nice and portable.

Spaceman wrote:

>That has been pretty much my experience with them, too. Their $20 grinders are great and very useful for >working on things like papercrete mixers.

Yep, my grinder's been great. I bought another one when they had a sale, but it was the blue one, not the orange one. I've only used it a couple of times, but it seems more "rattley" and loose then the orange one I've had for years, louder too. Use hearing protection.

That reminds me, I've used the inexpensive red & black hearing muffs that go on sale frequently for about $2.50 quite a bit. I like 'em better then foam earplugs and they work reasonably well. Cheap enough that I won't sweat it if the kids run 'em over with the lawn mower or something.

OTOH, I got some of their cheap foam earplugs and they sucked. They were all hard and dried up in the package, fossilized...

> I got a fairly cheap welder there that does an excellent job on pc mixer frames. I bought three of their $10 >paint stripper heat guns, and two died with a few hours of use. You definitely need to look at each item >you're buying because quality varies a lot.

>It always makes me mad when I buy something there and then next week get a sales flier with the
>same item for half off, so I wait for things I don't need right away to be reduced.

Yep, I do the same thing. Pretty much everything there goes on sale eventually. Some things are on sale pretty often. If you can wait awhile, what you want will often go on sale in the next month or two.

Ok, I thought of another "not so great". The solar garden lights. Yeah, they work, but they're not bright enough to see anything with and they only run for maybe 3 hours after sunset even after a long day of heavy sun on 'em. So, I can tell where the door to my shed IS if I go out there before midnight, but I can't see well enough to get the key in the lock.

Greg



____________________________________________________________________________________
Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/