Tuesday, July 31, 2007

[papercreters] New here.. Introduction

Hello all, I'm new to papercreteing.. but here is some background.

Were moving in the future and want to start fresh, and go pure green..
or as pure as we can.. without going broke.. I was looking into
strawbale construction but wanted to go even greener and cheaper..
Found papercrete.. Fell in love..

A Little background, My philosophy in life is to live of the the
tremendous amount of waste that average people have..

I am a average American for the most part, our household is average
middle class wages.. But I have always had a urge to be more self
sustained have always liked sustainability and preparedness.. But the
rat race didn't seen conducive to this in any way.. so a quest was
started..

First I started stashing away food and supplies for a emergency such
as we live in northern climates and a big winter storm can leave us
with out power and or travel for a week easily... The it was a wood
stove as a backup heat, now its our primary heat, burning all deadwood
and scrap pallets I get for free.. This was great prepaired and cheap
also.. so that started the long quest for cheap and renewable ways to
live at a lower cost with out being a society outcast.

I started dumpster diving for stuff, had much success and could not
believe the great stuff I found, every thing from electronics to
dining room kitchen sets, new int he box with only minor imperfections
that were easy to fix.. perfectly good stuff, beautiful stuff even.
And it was kind of fun, kind of treasure hunting in a way.

This really got me thinking what stuff do people throw away that is
still usable and in good working order.. for a while I came up with
nothing, then we bought a cheap used travel trailer to rebuild, but we
needed a larger vehicle to pull it.. I started looking into a full
size truck and found out about burning vegetable oil, and running it
in a diesel.. I got a diesel and converted it found sources for old
veggie oil and now I drive on veggie oil every day to commute to
work.. and I'm converting a second vehicle for the wife currently,
this opened up a entirely new ideal for me.. Using a total waste
product for everyday things and saving a ton of money doing it, I then
started searching on straw bale construction because of the great
efficiency and low cost of it.. I found paper create and..well, it fit
perfectly taking total waste and adding a bit of concrete and making a
efficient cheap durable building material.. did lots of research and
Now I'm here.

I have not made papercrete yet but plan on doing small batches.. and
building a passive solar heated shed in the back yard as a proof of
concept. I have the floor already made its elevated and insulated,
off of the ground mounted on pilons, was going to stick frame it but
this seems like the perfect way to dabble in papercrete, before we
move and build a house with it.

I'll probably hang here and absorb all the info I can before I begin
the shed.

Thanks for having me.
Jason


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/