Friday, July 27, 2007

[papercreters] Re: Papercrete for raised bed walls?

Chris, Your box idea is interesting. I have gardened in raised boxes
for decades, and my next set of boxes need to be constructed before
winter so they will be ready next spring. I was thinking of using thin
shell cement on a stucco mesh for the box. Now you have me thinking
about adding papercrete to that surface. I like your idea of a trolley,
but the papercrete alone may not support much weight. Bury the
sprinkler pipes in papercrete. It could help stabilize the shape during
the cure. I had my first papercrete block placed beneath the house
downspout so I could see how it survived contact with the soil and
excess moisture. It did not swell, break, or support mold or fungus, so
I think it would be a good material for a garden box. It could be worth
considering to add some acrylic which will probably improve the water
exposure issue. Good luck, post pictures. I think the papercrete could
also make an interesting cold frame. Gary


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/