Sunday, July 29, 2007

[papercreters] Re: HOMASOTE Inc.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Merrill"
<robertmerrill1953@...> wrote:
>
> I am forever amazed at the desparity between what I thiunk I know
> and harsh reality. I consider myself an expert (relative) in the
> field of fibrecrete. So I was blown away by a conversation at our new
> town micro-brewery about the oldest and most world reknowned producer
> of papercrete. They have been doing it famously for decades and I had
> never heard of them or seen their product. The company has been using
> sustainability as a manufacturing process goal since befor people
> knew how to spell it! Maybe it is just me and the sheltered life I
> lead. I mean I really thought this wheel needed inventing...........

Don't sell yourself short, what they are making would be alot more
difficult (and costly) to do at home. =) I would not heistate at all to
call them a fiber composite, but I would not call them PC or
fibercrete, since they are kinda missing the "crete" part. Their MSDS
says it is 40-50% Aluminum Hydroxide
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_hydroxide) and has copper
pesticides as well. Not a big deal in my book, some folks worry about
ground water effects of it, but they are using a very sensible amount
(under .1%). Does not look like they use cement, pozzolans, clay, etc
at all.

Very interesting product, though. And it could surely be referenced by
someone who was seeking acceptance into code for similar uses, although
it is different enough to make some inspectors just write it off,
possibly. And certainly we could consider the copper for use in PC as
well, it has a proven track record for them.

- Ernie



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/