Friday, July 27, 2007

Re: [papercreters] Re: Paper create -new to field

Ernie Phelps <eepjr24@gmail.com>
wrote:
--- In papercreters@ yahoogroups. com, Greg House <ghunicycle@ ...>

wrote:


>> You may want more compressor then that. The tirolessa sprayer

>> requires 7 cfm @ 90 psi, a 3hp will probably supply about 5-6, so

>> you're going to be waiting around for it to fill the tank a lot.


>
>Hrm. That must be an older compressor? The new ones do alot better.

>HF has a 3.5 HP 60 gallon that delivers 12.8 CFM @90 psi. It is a bit

>more than I would want to pay new ($400), but something to look at.

Yeah, I saw that one too. I'm a little suspect of the ratings Harbor Freight puts on their stuff. My neighbor had the 20 gal compressor and I borrowed it awhile back. It was as wimpy as my Porter-Cable pancake in terms of air output. Anyway, my other issue with that HF compressor is that, with a 60gal tank, it's really not portable. I don't have a fixed shop at this point, so getting something that's hard to move around is going to be kind of painful.

OTOH, I think I'd take that one over the Craftsman 60g I borrowed awhile back. It was oil-free, took forever to fill the tank, was as loud as a shuttle launch. The guy I borrowed it from hardly used it, and I heard it siezed up on him later. I looked online and found several reviews saying the same thing happened to them.

Anyway, I got the 5-6cfm rating for an avg 3hp compressor by Googling "3hp compressor" and looking at the ratings on the top few hits. They fit with my memory of what I'd seen at Home Depot when I was shopping for a compressor recently.

>> Seems like I read some of the other sprayers required 15-20 cfm or

>> more. I'm not sure how you'd get a compressor that'd supply that

>> kind of air cheaply. Spaceman's page says he uses a 7.5hp unit with

>> his and it doesn't totally keep up.


>
>That cfm for 90 psi is probably going to run you $800+. They make

>them for home and shop, but definetly not cheap.

For sure. You're definitely making an investment in something like that.

re: tiny Harbor Freight cement mixer

>It is quite small. And yes, I own one and use it. It beats the heck

>out of mixing stuff in a 5 gallon bucket with a Hole Hawg. =)

Yeah, I suppose it would. About the same capacity too, I guess.

>Honestly, if you are not going tow mixer, I would buy a used tow

>behind mortar mixer and use that. I got one for $200 that I am

>working on overhauling now.

That's a great deal! Wish I could find one like that.

Greg


____________________________________________________________________________________
Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/