Sunday, July 29, 2007

RE: [papercreters] Re: HOMASOTE Inc.

Ya’ll ever heard of TENTEST fibre board.  ½” thick product that was used in Canada into the 80s for wall sheeting and behind drywall where additional sound barrier was required.  It was displaced in the market by the mass production of oriented strand board.  I think it may still be used for sound related situations.  It was a similar product to this Homasote and had a asphalt coating on the exterior.

 

Nick

 


From: papercreters@yahoogroups.com [mailto:papercreters@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ernie Phelps
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2007 10:20 PM
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [papercreters] Re: HOMASOTE Inc.

 

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Merrill"
<robertmerrill1953@...> wrote:
>
> I am forever amazed at the desparity between what I thiunk I know
> and harsh reality. I consider myself an expert (relative) in the
> field of fibrecrete. So I was blown away by a conversation at our new
> town micro-brewery about the oldest and most world reknowned producer
> of papercrete. They have been doing it famously for decades and I had
> never heard of them or seen their product. The company has been using
> sustainability as a manufacturing process goal since befor people
> knew how to spell it! Maybe it is just me and the sheltered life I
> lead. I mean I really thought this wheel needed inventing...........

Don't sell yourself short, what they are making would be alot more
difficult (and costly) to do at home. =) I would not heistate at all to
call them a fiber composite, but I would not call them PC or
fibercrete, since they are kinda missing the "crete" part. Their MSDS
says it is 40-50% Aluminum Hydroxide
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_hydroxide) and has copper
pesticides as well. Not a big deal in my book, some folks worry about
ground water effects of it, but they are using a very sensible amount
(under .1%). Does not look like they use cement, pozzolans, clay, etc
at all.

Very interesting product, though. And it could surely be referenced by
someone who was seeking acceptance into code for similar uses, although
it is different enough to make some inspectors just write it off,
possibly. And certainly we could consider the copper for use in PC as
well, it has a proven track record for them.

- Ernie

__._,_.___


SPONSORED LINKS
Home repair improvement Papercrete International building code
Home and gardens 2000 international building code

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___