Thursday, March 29, 2012

Re: [papercreters] Re: Paper (crete-less) Weed Mat



I think the papercrete mulch would be perfectly acceptable. I used it last summer here in SW Arizona where you definitely need something to help keep the ground cool and it worked very well. Some of the nervous nellies on these online forums that come off with some of their observations and statements  are rarely backed with any scientific data. It sounds like you have done your homework on this and are quite informed on the matter. We probably are in more danger from the plastic packaging that everything is wrapped in any more than using pulp as a mulch. What do you suppose the commercialy available weed barrier stuff is made of? I'd feel safer with paper.
 
--- On Thu, 3/29/12, trendawareness <trendlinesystems@gmail.com> wrote:

From: trendawareness <trendlinesystems@gmail.com>
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Paper (crete-lesI thins) Weed Mat
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 8:05 AM

 
Thanks for the reply.

Could you direct me to some authoritative sources?

A quick Google search quotes the EPA as saying the leaching of BPA is a "concern" but the primary source of exposure appears to be from plastic bottles, less so for paper, save for perhaps register receipts.

Other Goggle searches for "paper chemicals leaching" don't produce much else other than scientific "papers" discussing the leaching threat from other materials.

Thanks again!

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, ken bolin <bornofthehorses@...> wrote:
>
> Do not use it around anything you would eat from to be on the safe side there are tons of chemicals harmful to man used in making paper and I know of no way to know what is in the paper used.
>
>  
> Ken
> LEAD FOLLOW OR GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY
>
>
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/12VDC_PowerPLus/
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PapercreteEarthbagsandVeggieoilohmy/
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/
> http://solarpanelkitatharborfreight.ning.com/
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeMadeHydroponics/
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/barrelponics/
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alcoholfuel/
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: trendawareness <trendlinesystems@...>
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:00 PM
> Subject: [papercreters] Paper (crete-less) Weed Mat
>
> My very first papercrete project sort of snuck up on me.
>
> I was pulling weeds in my yard, looked at a barrel of paper slurry that had been sitting out all winter, and thought hum...
>
> Why buy weed mat when I've been stockpiling used paper?
>
> So as a test, I cleared the weeds around a bush and poured a 2" layer of paper slurry (without cement or aggregates) in a 2 foot ring around a bush, leaving about an inch around the stalk clear. 
>
> I then "painted" the surface using a clump of grass with a clay root ball as a 'brush".  Later, I found mixing the clay into the slurry before pouring probably works better.
>
> Four days, and no rain, later, the paper mat is fully intact and still wet to the touch.  Too soon to say for sure, but no weeds so far.
>
> Hopefully it will work as a weed mat and help hold in the moisture during the dry summer months.  I may try adding some fertilizer to the slurry and see if I can use the mat as a slow-release applicator.
>
> Based on some paper forms that I poured years ago, the mat should last at least 2 years. 
>
> I did have a question however.  Is anyone aware of any toxins in typical paper waste that could leach into the soil?  My understanding is that non-toxic inks have been the norm for a while now.
>
> I ask because if this test works I'd like to pour larger mats around my vegetables.
>
> Photos of my first test are in the library.  I'll update the album in a couple of weeks.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>  
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___