Saturday, March 31, 2012

[papercreters] Re: Paper (crete-less) Weed Mat

Thank you to all who replied. I'll continue my research.

Speaking of leeching BPA, the EPA just declined a petition to prohibit its use in beverage and food containers.

See: http://www.newsmax.com/US/bpa-cancer-ban-packaging/2012/03/30/id/434398

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "trendawareness" <trendlinesystems@...> wrote:
>
> My very first papercrete project sort of snuck up on me.
>
> I was pulling weeds in my yard, looked at a barrel of paper slurry that had been sitting out all winter, and thought hum...
>
> Why buy weed mat when I've been stockpiling used paper?
>
> So as a test, I cleared the weeds around a bush and poured a 2" layer of paper slurry (without cement or aggregates) in a 2 foot ring around a bush, leaving about an inch around the stalk clear.
>
> I then "painted" the surface using a clump of grass with a clay root ball as a 'brush". Later, I found mixing the clay into the slurry before pouring probably works better.
>
> Four days, and no rain, later, the paper mat is fully intact and still wet to the touch. Too soon to say for sure, but no weeds so far.
>
> Hopefully it will work as a weed mat and help hold in the moisture during the dry summer months. I may try adding some fertilizer to the slurry and see if I can use the mat as a slow-release applicator.
>
> Based on some paper forms that I poured years ago, the mat should last at least 2 years.
>
> I did have a question however. Is anyone aware of any toxins in typical paper waste that could leach into the soil? My understanding is that non-toxic inks have been the norm for a while now.
>
> I ask because if this test works I'd like to pour larger mats around my vegetables.
>
> Photos of my first test are in the library. I'll update the album in a couple of weeks.
>
> Thanks!
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/