Thursday, March 29, 2012

Re: [papercreters] Paper (crete-less) Weed Mat



Thanks, Ken, I found your reference; it also has a nice read:
http://www.paperonweb.com/envrn.htm which might help. I was just thinking, might termites come up for a snack?

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Barry Norris <barry.pomaikai@gmail.com> wrote:
You might have weeds pushing through anyway, depending on what's in the soil there. The clay "frosting" might sprout in a week or so, depending on the temps. As for "leachates", I can't see any reason to worry, but try a look-up in Snopes if it will make you feel better. You didn't collect the paper from a hazmat source or some other obviously contaminated site, like weed killer sacks and such. You could always douse any tender seedlings that come up with boiling hot water, too, just to be really tidy (but the frosting might run a bit).
Aloha!

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:00 PM, trendawareness <trendlinesystems@gmail.com> wrote:
 

My very first papercrete project sort of snuck up on me.

I was pulling weeds in my yard, looked at a barrel of paper slurry that had been sitting out all winter, and thought hum...

Why buy weed mat when I've been stockpiling used paper?

So as a test, I cleared the weeds around a bush and poured a 2" layer of paper slurry (without cement or aggregates) in a 2 foot ring around a bush, leaving about an inch around the stalk clear.

I then "painted" the surface using a clump of grass with a clay root ball as a 'brush". Later, I found mixing the clay into the slurry before pouring probably works better.

Four days, and no rain, later, the paper mat is fully intact and still wet to the touch. Too soon to say for sure, but no weeds so far.

Hopefully it will work as a weed mat and help hold in the moisture during the dry summer months. I may try adding some fertilizer to the slurry and see if I can use the mat as a slow-release applicator.

Based on some paper forms that I poured years ago, the mat should last at least 2 years.

I did have a question however. Is anyone aware of any toxins in typical paper waste that could leach into the soil? My understanding is that non-toxic inks have been the norm for a while now.

I ask because if this test works I'd like to pour larger mats around my vegetables.

Photos of my first test are in the library. I'll update the album in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!





__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___