Thursday, March 22, 2012

[papercreters] Re: First Time PC Wall: Block or Slip?

One other point that I thought of after I posted that message.

You may need to consider buttresses to prevent the wall from wanting to tip over. Or... curve the wall. A curved wall is less likely to want to tip as well.

Alternatively, you could try to embed some kind of supports inside the wall like fence posts, but buttresses or curves are better.

Brad Lancaster is the Godfather of rainwater harvesting. It is far more involved than simply having a few rain barrels, or a tank. Those are great, but he encourages trying to capture every drop of water that falls within your property line, and even a lot of water that falls outside your propery, such as the street runoff.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "trendawareness" <trendlinesystems@...> wrote:
>
> Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I didn't see the part about the swale in time, and just today I finished my French drain, at a cost of about $150. But I do have a shed I need to protect, so I'll consider a swale for that project.
>
> I'm a big fan of rainwater harvesting. We have a big garden and treated water is both harsh and getting more expensive. My sewage rates are a function of my municipal water usage, so that's another incentive. I've already procured 10 plastic drums for water harvesting and my long-term goal is to build a 3500 gallon deep cistern that can be used both for the rainwater and as an alternative cooling source. But that's at least a year away.
>
> I don't "need" a PC wall, but since I was going to dig a gravel-filled trench anyway, I thought it might make a complementary project. If not, there's a long list of other potential PC projects.
>
> I concur with all your other points about keeping the PC "high and dry".
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Dan
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/