Sunday, September 20, 2009

RE: Tow mixer and gathering, Was [papercreters] Test message/foam dome



About the tow mixer, I've been using mine for about 3 years I think. I had someone else build it for me and I'm sure they filled it with oil. Here's the thing, after the mix is done there is a foamy oily spot in the middle. At first I was alarmed and thought there was something wrong but I just kept using it and it's been OK. The only problems I have are that 1 tire keeps losing air and the tank itself leaks like crazy until the slurry gets thick and seals it. I've tried just about everything over the years to seal the tank but nothing has ever worked. The mixer hasn't gotten much use the past 2 summers and I think the leaks are getting worse because it's been sitting out in the weather. There's a video on Youtube of a mixer I really like with an elephant trunk type exit. I think I saved that video somewhere but can't put my finger on it right now.

As for the gathering Ron you are going to be missing a lot of great food. Mom and I have been cooking out little fingers to the bone and the freezer is full of things to pop in the oven after a hard day of papercreting. There's just some last minute shopping for the fresh stuff and some salads to make. Oh and Mom has some great dessert ideas. Someone gave us a shopping bag full of the sweetest pears I've ever tasted.

I've been thinking about how to do the foundation and had several different plans in mind. Well I wish I had just put down earthbags on the ground like I did last time. I had a guy come and dig a foundation trench. The building is only 12 x 16 but I wanted to try to do it with a real foundation. Anyway, it came out too deep and too wide so yesterday I spent 4 hours partially filling it back in then I went to see my friend at the gravel yard and arranged to have a truckload delivered this morning. So it looks like today I will be shoveling gravel. Spaceman had a great idea to use the rocks that came out of the trench and do a rubble trench foundation. That is a super idea and I am going to sort of use it. The problem is that there are so many rocks to throw back in the trench. I will put some in before I put the gravel but to do the entire thing with rocks is just too much work. So I have 4 footer things poured in the corners 16" deep and 14" square. I think I'm going to pull the forms up another 8 or 12 inches and make them higher so they are well off the ground then put the gravel between them to make the rubble trench. Under the gravel are the rocks. I know it sounds sort of weird but I am basically working alone (had a helper yesterday) and when I find something is not feasible I have to switch to plans B, C, D, E, and F.

And to make matters worse, after shoveling all day out there in the trench I came home to find that there is something wrong with the well. So I had to go to a friend's to take a bath. He is going to work on the well today while I go out and get the foundation ready. So it should be a good day and I hope we have water back on before I get home. If it's not fixed before the weekend I'm counting on all you resourceful papercreters to come up with ways that we can get clean at the end of the day. There is a nice lake up the road. Polar Bear Club?

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: ronerichter@yahoo.com
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:29:42 -0700
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Test message/foam dome

 

Spaceman,
Since you asked, I am working on a 450 Honda Foreman engine today.  I have a 400 Honda foreman with a serious knock and since it is our only transportation in the village it has to work.  So I bought a 450 with a broken frame but a good engine and am working on the replacement.  I decided to change the valves, put in a new piston and rings and hone the cylinder before installing it.

It is a fantastic day for it too as it was 37 this morning and the trees are losing their yellow leaves.  Because I felt like mechanicing  this morning I am also changing 503 engines out of a Skandic snow machine.  Last year our first snow was on the 21st of Sept. so it is just around the corner.  I can't wait because the pesky mosquitos and white socks will be a thing of the past after the first snow. 

And so we remain on topic, I am enviously waiting to hear all the cool stuff you guys are going to get to trade back and forth at Judith's.

My last mix of PC I made my towmixer froze one tire up so I fear I have destroyed it.  I will be in Montana for part of January and I'll take it apart to see if it is re-buildable.  Might be cheaper to just buy a new rear end and start over from scratch.  If you are new and building a towmixer, don't forget to fill it with oil to keep things lubricated inside with it in its new position!

Ron


Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar
Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups
Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___