Monday, September 14, 2009

[papercreters] Re: PC thin planks?

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "rmorger03" <rmorger@...> wrote:
>
> Hi first post to the group though I have been digesting for a while.
> I'm Robert from Central Texas, mostly hot humid and low to moderate rain.
>
> What is the thinest thickness you would go for a non structural
> plank?

I would not go below 2", personally. I find that less that that is prone to breaking if accidentally smacked with something. I would also recommend leaving an air gap between the planks. This will slow water transmission between planks, allow another 2 surfaces for evaporation and lower the danger of wind resistance damage.

> What would work best to reinforce the length? ie rebar, remesh,
> bamboo?

I would go non metal, if I used anything at all. 4'2" is not that far for unsupported length.

> Would it be best to coat the entire plank in a thin coat of
> ferrocement to reinforce?

IMO, no. Increase in weight and cost. Just up the sand or cement content instead.

> Would paint sealant be good enough to seal the planks or would
> something else more drastic be needed?

Not sure, but I think a good paint seal should be fine.

> Would compressing the pc be a better way to make this type
> application? example filling a 3" x 6" x 10' form then compressing
> down to 1" x 6" x 10'.

I would go with 4" to 2" or 3" to 2" compression. Strength increase for shear should be decent.

> Any other add ins to the pc be needed other than say paper pulp, cement some perlite or wood chips and some sand? I am thinking that I will need to add a bit more cement to the mix to make it work for this application say 50-60% by volume not weight.

I would go with 25-30% portland and 20-25% sand, 50% paper by volume. If you use perlite, replace sand with it. I would not use wood chips personally unless you tested how they affect shear for your application.

- Ernie

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/