Monday, September 14, 2009

RE: [papercreters] Re: Padobe virgin



Thanks for all this info. I did notice that my mix was very wet. I had stuffed a 55 gal drum with cardboard and covered it with water to soak. I mean I really stuffed it, kept jumping on it to get as much in as possible. But I think my mix could have used more cardboard or less water. When I saw how much of everything it takes I'm kind of concerned that I'll run out of materials. I have a way of getting myself worried over nothing though so should just shut that little voice up.

As far as the drying time goes. I plan to make a lot of forms 8' x 1' so if the lower layer isn't dry enough yet I can put another form on top of it and keep doing that until they are set enough to remove the forms. Maybe with less water and several layers of forms it will work out. I am so excited about this I jsut can't wait to get started. I have the giuy coming to dig the footings today. I really didn;t want to use concrete but after assesing the situation I realize I will have to. Can't afford to have the truck come out so will borrow a truck, get the sand and gravel, rent a mixer and get started. I have 4) 55 gallon drums of cement and 8 bags of ready mix quick crete. I have a feeling I may be short but I'll just get started and see how it goes. Sure wish I had some strong youg guy to help but will be working alone today.

Thanks for your advice. It's really helping me a lot.

Oh and about your son's advice re changing your mind. I have 5 kids and they all think I'm totally insane.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: donald1miller@yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 06:27:51 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Padobe virgin

 
- I have never tried slipforming with the padobe mix I use for blocks but it does dry a lot slower than a mix with cement. I slipformed a small shed without pulp, only a desert grass and clay and gravel with a small portion of cement and I was able to move to forms in an hour. I don't think you'll be able to do that with the padobe as down here in the Outback where it is very hot it dries significantly slower than papercrete which of course has cement in the mix. If one is not in a huge hurry, the padobe is great. It is very strong and light weight and once totally dry, very hard.

As for advice on changing one's mind, I can relate totally to that. I have always hated working from a pattern or a set formula and as a result I have changed my mind a lot when building things or planning to build. I used to build wood stoves when I lived in North Idaho and I remember my youngest son telling me "Dad, it works great. Just keep building it like like that and stop changing things." But by changing things and trying different ideas, some very slight, I was able to perfect a great clean burning efficient stove. Of course I still changed little things on the outward appearance and trim and such but the point is that if I had been satisfied with my early results which were very good, I would not have developed the stove that I ended up with which was better yet. I still haven't settled on a set formula for the padobe as I haven't been good at keeping track of exact ingedients. One other thing to remember is an old quote I like to tell people: A wise man [person] changes his/her mind often, a fool never does. I like to tell the naysayers that one. At least it gives them something to think about.

-- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> Just thought I would check in with my report on my first padobe experience. I followed Spaceman's formula and adapted it to my tank which is about 20% larger. Anyone who has followed this list for a while knows how math and tech challenged I am. So I got started anyway. I have a 200 gallon tank, the typical McCain (not the politician) variety tow mixer. Filled it 2/3 with water, heaped up the soaked cardboard, added 3 buckets of perlite and the equivalent of 4 buckets (7 shovels per bucket) clay soil. Had to add 1 more bucket perlite and 2 more soil but it seems to be a good mix. Got it into the form and couldn't wait around and time things because I am without transportation and the "ride" had to get going. So I will check it out tomorrow and see how it is. My main concern is how long it has to set up before the form can be moved. I found with my papercrete that if I tried to move the form (we are talking about slip forming here) too soon the lower course would fall apart. Not a good thing for sure. I am planning this project for the gathering and counting on the form moving up at a certain time so I will have to observe and adapt.
> Have any of you had this experience? You are working on a theory with your papercrete mix or method and well-meaning friends or relatives say " Well, if you'd just quit changing your mind!......." I say " How many times did Edison or Ford or Einstein or Da Vinci (not that I am in that class) hear that from wives, mothers, children? It is not helpful, to say the least.
>
> For you music lovers look up Langhorn Slim on You Tube singing "Diamonds and Gold". Enjoy. It is my theme song. Let me know what you think. Get a little happy along the way!
>
> Sincerely, Judith
>
> Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
>
>
>
>
> EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
> Join me
>




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___