Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Re: [papercreters] Re: blocks won't dry

Hi, I've been reading your list for about two weeks. In that time I made some papercrete test blocks which have been dried out pretty well after 10-12 days, but some of the thicker ones still show signs of moisture. A welder put together a cutting-mixing blade for my 1/2" electric drill. I mixed test batches in a 5 gallon bucket. Molds were open at the top and bottom, resting on a layer of metal machine cloth under metal window screen. My blocks didn't shrink as I expected after reading some of the posts here. They still fit snuggly back into the molds. I put a short piece of rebar in one mold; it remains firmly in place. My mix was shredded newspapers, water, and portland cement. The dry blocks are tough, but I can make a finger nail mark in the surface. There have a powdery surface.

So far so good,
Dick
__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___