Friday, September 28, 2007

[papercreters] Re: ICF Papercrete Form Blocks

I think this is a very interesting idea. I've helped install some
EPS ICF. They are nice to work with.

Perceived advantages:
1. Being able to custom manufacture one's own ICF's would be great.

2. No ripping apart formwork after pours.

3. Custom ICF's could allow someone to build a form that has thick
insulation on either the exterior of the wall and a thin layer on the
other side. This would improve the thermal mass performance of the
wall.

Perceived disadvantages:
1. ICF typically have interior plastic framwork straps that securely
hold the two faces of EPS rigidly together. They are important to
prevent form bowing and blowouts. This armature also is critical in
suspending interior rebar and holding it in place during the pour.
How do you propose making these and securely attaching them to the
papercrete sides?

2. Papercrete can often shrink and warp as it dries. EPS ICF that
I've worked with fit together perfectly. This was important to
prevent leaks during the pour.

3. I don't see the point of filling papercrete ICF with more
papercrete when one can mold solid papercrete blocks much more
simply. It only seems to make sense for pouring concrete.

4. Creating the interior strapping armatures and the intracate forms
to manufacture the papercrete ICF will be no small task. Creating
them consistenly sized to the tolerances required will be tricky also.

5. The tolerances and complexity of corner ICF pieces is even greater.

6. When I've used EPS ICF, plastic postal packing tape was used to
seal the seams and fix ...ahem... installer goofups <hanging my head
in shame>. Tape will not stick to papercrete nearly as well as EPS.


I like the idea of papercrete ICF and I look forward to learning more
about your efforts. I think it should be possible to to create ICF
as you describe but getting the details right will be tricky.

Please take lots of pictures and keep us informed about your
efforts.


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "William Conrad" <humvee@...>
wrote:
>
> Hello: I am an Insulated Form Block (ICF) installer. This is where
foam
> form blocks are stacked up and then CONCRETE is pumped into the
center
> to form the building walls. I have spent time with Barry Fuller
> (livinginpaper.com) and am very familiar with Paper-Crete building.
> I want to make ICF Paper-Crete blocks into which either Concrete or
> Paper-Crete / light weight Concrete can be placed to build the
walls of
> my projects. I am very interested in hearing any comments and or
feed
> back on this approach. I will in return post my drawings and
photos as
> I proceed for anyone else to use.
>



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/