Sunday, September 30, 2007

Re: [papercreters] New Member Intro

Thank you for the welcome,Joyce. My wall hasn't gotten a whole lot farther. I wanted to be able to make it out of things that I had,here on the farm since, anything I pick up with my truck better be worth the gas it sucks up. When I looked at what was here for building, I had the poly bags, tons of baling twine, sand and manure. I use manure for all sorts of stuff but it doesn't stay put unless there are roots from something in it.... that happens all on its own if I don't plant something first. I've seeded our whole yard without buying any seeds at all. Not that it looks like much with the drought that's going on here. Anyhow, the manure is lighter than the sand but I believe that it's burnable, too and there's the issue of cleaning it. The drought business has taught me alot. Manure dries to a fine and compactable powder. That would make a great wall this year but most years, the water table here is just a little bit more than 2' so I'm thinking that, as available as it is, I'd better stick to the sand. Rock is  hard to come by in this area and some people have used rubber rock and old car tires. I didn't want to do either. I've dug 6" below the ground level; drove rebar into the ground to make an outline then double layered thick plastic sheeting that I also have alot of in the trough and overhanging the edges alot. This gives the bags protection from the sun while I'm building and I can cut off the excess when I'm ready to cement the wall. That has me worried, too. This wall will be exposed to horse~housekeeping. You have shetlands. Mine are drafts and draft crosses and they either lean or scratch their butts on everything. I think I'd have a melt down if I put all of this work into a wall and one of them moved it. So. I'm stuck on the cement part. How much is enough to keep them from moving my wall?
Is one kind better than another??? All questions that hold up the wall building.
Clarissa

Joyce E <yz0ld0wl@ohiohills.com> wrote:
Hi Clarissa, and welcome! My project hasn't gotten much further than
the planning stage -- yet! -- but I am saving every single scrap of
paper, not letting DH burn any of it. Questions are always welcome; I
still have quite a few of my own! LOL! But mostly, I lurk...

:-) Joyce in SE Ohio

ElfNori wrote:
> Welcome, Clarissa! You must talk to Joyce, who is building papercrete
> domes for her Shetland stallions!
>
> ElfN
>
>
>
> Hello Everyone,
> I have tons of things to learn and am very excited to have found a
> group that has accomplished so much and embodies so much
> experience. I've experimented with some alternative structures for
> our horses and I was a considerable source of amusement to the
> local agricultural community until they saw that my structures
> were still standing after a round of 60mph winds and the second
> round. ...
>
>



Clarissa
"He who holds, must first have discovered.
He who has discovered, must first have sought..."
~tale of y Chadee


Building a website is a piece of cake.
Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online. __._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___