Sunday, September 30, 2007

Re: [papercreters] Re: New Member Intro

I hadn't even thought of that! Thanks. We have been broiled this summer and came close to being smoked and barbecued when forest fires came within a half mile of our farm and lingered for days.  Cooked is definitely something to avoid. When we first found it,my mom said the desert is hot. When we went researching, the temps there have actually been milder than here, probably because of the altitude there and (in spite of the drought) humidity here.
Clarissa

ElfNori <elf@elfnori.com> wrote:

If I understand things correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you will immediately need to figure out how to supply shade over the window and sliding glass door or you will COOK in the desert.
 
ElfN
 
----- Original Message -----
From: cloud wall
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2007 8:51 AM
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: New Member Intro

I don't mind sharing where I'm at, at all, and I want to go look at those pushpins, too. I've just started putting up another portable shelter since it looks like we may well end up spending the winter here and will photograph as I build, since it's hard to see the important parts in the finished product. We are on the eastern NC/SC border, zip 28369, just outside a tiny town called Orrum, which may not be on the average map. Where we are hoping to go to is an even more remote town called Rodeo, NM 88056. That is where the papercrete house and workshop are. The first link below is what attracted me to the area (that I know almost nothing about yet) and the second link is to a slide show of the actual papercrete house. My daughter is still negotiating so I can't say that it is ours yet but I am sure hoping. I know that there is some kind of construction going on in the courtyard of the house. I learned that from looking at the Living in Paper info, thank you. I have no idea what is being built. One photo shows another adobe/papercrete structure in the distance. That is the workshop. I don't know who did the work. http://www.malpaiborderlandsgroup.org/ http://www.desertwildlands.com/newmexico_list/23097_angel/index.htm
I hope the links work. I'm fairly computer illiterate. Clarissa

slurryguy <slurryguy@yahoo.com> wrote:
I'll add another hearty "welcome" to the chorus. Plus I'll echo the
sentiments others expressed for pictures.

Are you willing to share more specifics about where you are located?
It looks like we need to add another pushpin for your location on our
map in the Diagrams album in our photos section. (or more than one
for whatever other sites you know about.)

Don't be shy about telling us about the equipment you'll be using for
papercrete either.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "windwalkerwill"
<windwalkerwill@...> wrote:
>
> Hello Everyone,
> I have tons of things to learn and am very excited to have found a
group
> that has accomplished so much and embodies so much experience. I've
> experimented with some alternative structures for our horses and I
was a
> considerable source of amusement to the local agricultural community
> until they saw that my structures were still standing after a round
of
> 60mph winds and the second round. While this was a far cry from a
> hurricane, I was very proud of my work. So far, we can safely house
10
> horses for about $2,000. and the structures are portable (not
taxable).
> I acquire 20 poly grain bags each week due to the horses and I have
> always been annoyed that there was no way to recycle them. Then I
> discovered bagged earth walls and am experimenting away...
> None of this research and experimenting though, helped me reach my
goal
> of living in a sustainable home and every month there is another
round
> of $300. utility bills. I decided that I didn't want to wait
forever and
> that, care taking for 20 creatures and an elderly mom probably
would not
> leave me much time to build that perfect home. Our area frowns on
> anything alternative, as well. We have finally located and begun
> negotiating to purchase an already started papercrete home in NM.
There
> is enough of a house to live in while I do all the horse related
(fence,
> barn, storage) building and even a papercrete workshop.
> I am not always good at technical things and am subject to
occasional
> blond moments but I can usually understand something after I've
plowed
> through it a few times.
> I'm looking forward to reading and learning and thank you all in
> advance. I doubt that I'll have a whole lot to contribute but I'm
sure
> to have a lot of questions.
> Clarissa
>




Clarissa
"He who holds, must first have discovered.
He who has discovered, must first have sought..."
~tale of y Chadee

Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links.

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.488 / Virus Database: 269.13.35/1039 - Release Date: 9/29/2007 9:46 PM



Clarissa
"He who holds, must first have discovered.
He who has discovered, must first have sought..."
~tale of y Chadee


Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel. __._,_.___


SPONSORED LINKS
Home repair improvement International building code Home and gardens
2000 international building code International building code 2000

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___