Monday, July 9, 2007

Re: [papercreters] New to Group

Welcome to the group, James.

I think the reason most pc projects are in the SW US is because that's where papercrete started, People like Mike McCain and Eric Patterson live here. There are papercrete buildings other places, like Florida which is about as wet as you can get, and outside Austin which gets lots of rain and humidity, just to mention a couple.

Your pc slab with hydronic heating sounds very feasible to me since my latest project has a similar floor. I put down 10" of pc, put the tube on top, and capped it with 2" of concrete rather than the clay you propose.

I (and others) have sprayed papercrete with great success. Pc sticks well to most surfaces. I have also applied tons of it by hand, troweling it, tossing it at the wall, splatting handfuls on the wall. Many techniques work. You'll find that pc is indeed strong enough to support itself.

The group is working on a database of recipes and techniques that should prove an invaluable resource to all papercreters. The last I heard it was about ready to be launched, but ElfNori can give you a better idea of that since she's head bit cruncher on that project.

Last but not least, the archive of messages is full of helpful factoids, the photo section has many interesting photos, and there are quite a few links to other resources. You came to the right place!

Spaceman

operationschief77 wrote:

Good Day!  I have no real experience with papercrete but I do have experience  with stucco and construction in general.  Having perused the web I  have come to the conclusion that either most papercrete creations are  in dry climates or the people posting info are.   As well it seems that most papercrete building is 'new home'  construction rather than applying these techniques to existing  homes.  With that said I am hoping that I am not alone in my desire  to find some good advice here on how to move forward with  incorporating papercrete into an existing home.  My family and I live  in southern Alberta, Canada which is still many miles north of where  much of the papercrete work seems to be focused.  With that said this  is my intention as of right now.  We live in a thousand sqft home  with a basement of approximately similar dimensions.  There is an  exisitng concrete basement that is eight feet deep.  This basement  does not have any insulation nor does it have a concrete floor.  What  I intend to do is 'pour' a papercrete slab to approximately 4" depth,  run an in floor heating line above that and then top it off with clay  flooring.  As for the walls I have a couple of possibilities in  mind.  Due to the insulative nature of papercrete I could spray  progressive layers of high paper, papercrete directly onto the  exisitng concrete walls.  Another technique I am thinking about using  is 'harling' the mixture on the wall until I have the desired  thickness.  These 2 techniques have the advantage of trapping air in  the mixture as it is being applied therefore adding to the insulting  effect.  The other method would be to simply trowel the mixture on in  a couple of brown coats until the right thickness is achieved.  My  questions are simple ones, firstly anyone try this before?  Two, how  does papercrete bond to existing concrete?  I know with stucco  spalling can occur so for that reason I usually add some Elmer's glue  and extra lime, very sticky and haven't lost a parging yet. Mikey  Sklar has suggested a couple of cups of old latex paint.  The most  pressing question is to what thickness can one go when attaching  papercrete to existing concrete?  My concern here is the papercrete  not having the necesary structral integrity to support its own weight  and will then come off in chunks.  A few ideas have been to attach  chicken wire to the concrete much as you would in applying stucco to  a wall.  Or perhaps run nails into the wall and then weave willow  branches through them to form a kind of rebar structure.  We are  motivated by trying to use all locally available resources.   Ultimately I think I am going to try them all and see which works.   If can prove an effective method for binding papercrete to concrete I  can then add this to my available options for my customers who are  looking for more'green' building techniques.  Next time I will  describe how I intend to turn an old hot tub into a papercrete  mixer.  Thanks for any input you may have.    James       Yahoo! Groups Links  <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/  <*> Your email settings:     Individual Email | Traditional  <*> To change settings online go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join     (Yahoo! ID required)  <*> To change settings via email:     mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com      mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com  <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:     papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com  <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/       
__._,_.___


SPONSORED LINKS
Home repair improvement Papercrete Uniform building code
1997 uniform building code Uniform building code online

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___