Monday, July 9, 2007

[papercreters] PC and freezing

As things stand here, I expect to be getting a very late start on my
project...... but that is better as the climate is better for this kind
of work in the fall here....... we had an incredibly wet start.

My ultimate choice of construction methods for reasons of practicality,
and taking into account Bob Merrill's always sound advice will end up
being strawbale construction with gunned on PC. The bale walls will
NOT be load bearing in the conventional sense....... essentially it will
be a pole barn construction with bales stabilizing things rather than
the usual sheet metal. ]

I will end up gunning the PC onto the bales..... using the mix I've
dubbed "stickystucco" and either a tyrolessa, or a makeshift shotcrete
system...... there's a lotta footage here so I would prefer to gun it
rather than spray it.

I anticipate that I will be running up to the proverbial 11th hour, and
shooting PC at a time when freezing at night is a real
possibility........ I actually is almost any time of year here, though
July and August are pretty safe as a rule....... Experience shows that
freezing will occur unpredictably at this elevation almost any other
time. I am needless to say, concerned about freezing of my wall
coating, and how sensitive PC is to freezing during the setup period.
My assumption is that as it is primarily fiber, and has a some give to
it, the problems associated with conventional stucco.... particularly
slow setting lime stucco will not be nearly so pronounced. In any
case, the priorities will be to get the walls and roof up and covered on
the outside....... Plastic tarps may be desirable for nighttime
protection for a few days, and the coating will be applied in relatively
light coats, perhaps stopping for the season if needed, after the first
coat or second. I envision a build up of about 3 layers to a thickness
of 1.5-2". I can close the building in and work inside anytime.

Any thoughts on this program?

Howard


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/