Thursday, July 26, 2007

Re: [papercreters] electrical -was- Re: modular block

It must suck to live someplace where you are told where and how many
electrical outlets you have to have. The Amish have no electrical outlets.
We have a few placed where we need them. We don't have an inspector. But
then again, we live off-grid and can do pretty much what we want.


Steve Spence
Director, Green-Trust
http://www.green-trust.org
http://www.green-trust.org/bookshop/

----- Original Message -----
From: "slurryguy" <slurryguy@yahoo.com>
To: <papercreters@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:32 AM
Subject: [papercreters] electrical -was- Re: modular block

Judith.

I know you're having inspector issues. Keep in mind that there are
plenty of code requirements for electrical. Most of them make a lot
of sense. I encourage you to not just put outlets around where you
like them without educating yourself about such things first.

Check your local library for books.

Ask around. Do you have a friend that could act as your electrical
advisor? Better to know what is safe and makes sense before you
start spending money. Copper isn't cheap these days.

This is a PERFECT opportunity to LEARN while volunteering on a
Habitat for Humanity project. Tell the volunteer coordinator you
want to be an unskilled assistant for an electrician. You'll be
amazed at what you can learn VERY QUICKLY. Ask the project manager
for a current house project to keep you informed.

They may not know exactly when everything will happen specifically.
Be flexible. Lots of habitat houses get electrical work done during
the winter.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS
<williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> I'm wondering why you want to form the block to contain conduit etc
when the dry blocks are so easy to cut through with a chainsaw or
sawzall. I make my blocks by the "brownie" method. I pour into a form
30" x 12' and cut them with a lawn edger when they are still wet but
set up enough to hold their shape. I lay them up like bricks but make
the mortar with slightly more paper and leave out the pumice, or sand
in your case. I find this rather simple. I have cut the blocks with
the sawzall with a long deeply serrated blade. You're not crazy. Hey
if you are crazy then that means I'm crazy too and we can't have
that! Judith
>
> PS I just wanted to add that when I'm ready for the wiring I'll cut
the channels where I want them. I think I want to live in the house
for a while before I decide where all the outlets, lights and
switches will go.
>
>
> To: papercreters@...: mdmiller1@...: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:13:52
+0000Subject: [papercreters] modular block
>
>
>
>
> I completed a test pour of a modular papercrete block that would be
laid up with standard coursing, could contain elec conduit and
rebar..... it was time consumming. I built the form out of plywood,
coated it very heavily with sealer, and it probably won't be able to
be used again due to warpage.Here's some pics:
http://www.domovitae.com/fcrete/I experienced quite a bit of
shrinkage vertically. In rough numbers about 10%, and the mix was
very stiff and contained quite a bit of sand and portland. Total dry
mix weight including portland, paper, sand, etc... was about 9.5
pounds. Block size 8"x8"x16"Its a little clunky I had a few gaps in
the pour, but generally I'm satisfied with the end result.Welcome
comments.... or tell me I'm crazy...... Duane
>
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Missed the show? Watch videos of the Live Earth Concert on MSN.
> http://liveearth.msn.com
>

__________ NOD32 2394 (20070711) Information __________

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
http://www.eset.com



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/