Saturday, July 7, 2007

[papercreters] X-crete

Alrighty then,  I'll be making some excrete or poocrete.  But I am going to wait until we have a day under 115 - next week hopefully.  120's a bit tough to work in, I may just set up lights and work at night - while attracting every insect within a half-mile radius probably.  Another possible ingredient I guess. 
 
I remember reading about manure stucco on mud huts in Africa.  They also use it as cooking fuel.  Not necessarily horse though, more like oxen or cattle or water buffalo.
 
In this area the powers that be make people use dumpsters to dispose of their manure.  The stables here has about 200 horses and several strategically placed dumpsters with ramps for wheel barrows.  I don't have to use one because I haven't been ordered to, but if a neighbor ever complains about my manure they'll be out here telling me I have to get a dumpster.  Usually I compost it but the horses produce alot more than I can keep up on composting (especially when it's this hot out and I'm not inclined to be out shoveling the stuff). 
 
Anyone wanting to get horse manure could make a few calls to some stables or take out a little classified want ad.  Maybe you have a race track nearby or active show grounds.  They may even deliver it.  When I worked at a stable in Florida a local nursery came weekly and loaded up the manure pile. As a little side note, one time I was talking to the guys while they were loading the manure and one didn't pay attention to what he was doing and stuck a pitch fork completely through one of his toes 6 inches or so and into the manure.  He was wearing flip flops!  It was pretty unpleasant watching them hold the toe down and pull the fork back through.
 
Anyway, alot of stables use wood shavings for bedding and this is mixed with the manure when it's shoveled out.  Your average horse owner probably isn't using shavings at home though.  I also like the idea of having a byproduct of manure tea.  The portland doesn't drain out in the water at all?   Do you think it will adhere to the manure as well as it does paper?  I have an idea for recovering it, it will take a little scrounging though first.
 
Terry
 
 
 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
SPONSORED LINKS
Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Yahoo! Groups

Moderator Central

An online resource

for moderators.

Yahoo! Groups HD

The official Samsung

Y! Group for HDTVs

and devices.

.

__,_._,___