Saturday, July 21, 2007

[papercreters] Sealers --was-- Re: you all inspire me.....

I haven't done anything with PVA in/around papercrete. I urge
caution. Test test test.

Polyvinal alcohol doesn't handle moisture well at all. I can't imagine
it being a very good weather sealer for this reason. I know Weldbond
advertises as a sealer, but I confess I don't understand how it would
work. It might work for a short period of time, but long term I don't
see what would prevent it from breaking down under the elements.
Logically it doesn't make sense. That being said, I haven't tried it,
so I don't claim to know.

It seems it would also breakdown in the moisture rich environment of
papercrete slurry too. It might bond dry papercrete together, but when
papercrete slurry is available as a mortar, why bother?

Maybe you have better imagination on how it could be used than I do,
but I just don't see it.

Sorry to be such a Negative Nellie. If you know of success using it as
a sealer, please feel free to tell me I'm "all wet" and educate me.
Perhaps if I actually had used the stuff I'd understand it more. Don't
take my ramblings as authoritative information. I'm simply encouraging
care and testing before depending on PVA in such an application.

Robert Merrill's old latex paint latte looks far more attractive as a
sealer to me. Cheaper too.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Ernie Phelps" <eepjr24@...> wrote:
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "slurryguy" <slurryguy@> wrote:
>
> > I do not recommend Elmers. Feel free to try it if you like. More
> > papercrete slurry makes a darn good mortar.
>
> Have you done much with PVA in general, SG? A friend of mine wants to
> try some of the industrial strength stuff (Weldbond?) as a sealer for
> it and I wondered if you (or anyone else) have given that a shot?
>
> - E
>



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/