Saturday, July 21, 2007

[papercreters] Re: Sealers --was-- Re: you all inspire me.....

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "slurryguy" <slurryguy@...> wrote:
>
> I haven't done anything with PVA in/around papercrete. I urge
> caution. Test test test.

Yep, was just wondering if you had tested it at all. Not trying to
promote it, just looking for more info. =)

> If you know of success using it as a sealer, please feel free to
> tell me I'm "all wet" and educate me. Perhaps if I actually had
> used the stuff I'd understand it more. Don't take my ramblings as
> authoritative information. I'm simply encouraging care and testing
> before depending on PVA in such an application.

I would not try PVA in general, from my (very limited) experience. I
don't know exactly what is different about Weldbond, but I know it does
seal concrete pretty well. I read an article some time ago that it has
to do with how they catalyze the polymer in it, somehow makes it alot
more water resistant. I would certainly not depend on it for underwater
use, but I want to give it a shot as a sealer for general use.

> Robert Merrill's old latex paint latte looks far more attractive as
> a sealer to me. Cheaper too.

Hoping I can find a decent bit of latex for free (going to start
checking the landfills, etc) but until then, Weldbond looks reasonable.
Around $40-$50 for a gallon, which will cover about 2000 sq feet if
diluted to the recommended 5 to 1. Anyway, he just got his first
batches of paper and is going to borrow my old drill mixer for his
testing, so I will try to get him to give me results. Then maybe we
will all know a bit more. =)

- Ernie


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/