Monday, July 23, 2007

[papercreters] Re: Permits, etc

The best strategy is to make friends.

The inspector is just one.

The head of the building department is another.

Who are your county's elected officials? Find out. Make an
appointment and visit their office. Be nice. Be friendly. Ask them
to come visit and see what you are doing. If they do come to visit,
make absolutely sure to take their picture while they are on your
property. (It's a good picture to "accidentally" be within the
eyesight of the inspector when he visits next time.) You can always
burn the picture when the house is done and you're having the
housewarming bonfire!

If you have a bbq, invite them! Trust me, if you have a large
turnout at a cookout and a politician is present, they'll see
VOTERS! The last thing they want is a riled up group of voters that
think the goverment is taking advantage of one of their friends.
You'd be surprised how quickly problems can be solved. Invite your
newspaper reporter friend too. Oh yeah. That'll get the
government's attention.

The key isn't to be a malcontent that is trying to cause trouble, but
to just be so nice and so friendly that everyone wants to see you
succeed. For some of us that might be difficult. For Judith? I
think it'll come easy. She's got that Gidget smile after all! :)

Oh yeah. Have your wonderful Mom around to meet some of these
people. Make sure the authorities meet the people that just want to
have a comfortable home to live in. It's one thing to reject some
paperwork. It's something completely different to prevent a roof
from sheltering a sweet lady that they know.

Yes it's politics. Yes you'll feel like you need a tetanus booster
after meeting most of them. Once you're admiring the sunset looking
out the window of your cozy house, you'll forget the hassles.

Who knows maybe you'll actually meet a government official that
genuinely cares and wants to help! Many do exist.


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS
<williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> These are good points Neal. I've thought about them myself. For
instance, I am almost done with the walls but the foundation is the
thing that is the most problematic. Someone told me recently that
they had a similar problem with a pumicecrete house. What they had to
do was dig down and put the proper foundation under the walls. First
they did one side of the wall to the middle. then they did the
other.This is the kind of thing that makes me crazy. My house is
perfectly sound as it is. All this extra stuff just adds time and
expense. I've had the #1 adobe expert in the country tell me my house
is very well built and I know he's right. Well anyway, I'm not going
to get all bent out of shape over it. I'll consider your suggestion
to contact the head of the building dept but wonder of that would
piss off the inspector who came out. Maybe he would think I was
trying to go over his head. All this politics is way out of my area
of interest. I think there are only 1 or 2 inspectors in the entire
area. I have been considering putting this project on hold and
beginning another, doing it the right way. At this point I'm trying
not to feel pressured about anything. I'm making arrangements to stay
where I am for the winter and have Mom live with my daughter of
sister. I have an extra job lined up and can save a bit of money, get
some legit plans, permit, etc for a small guest house and take it
from there. Then at some time in the future I'll finish this house
I'm almost done with and rent out the guest house. So there are
always options. And watching the evolution of papercrete is a never
ending facination. And as far as the assessor goes, I have no
objection to paying whatever taxes are levied. I'm not trying to get
out of paying taxes. I'm just trying to create a home for myself and
my mother.
>
>
> To: papercreters@...: sire@...: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:37:24 -
0600Subject: Re: [papercreters] Permits, etc
>
>
>
>
>
> Excellent comments, Howard. Additional questions that could use
some insight:
>
> Leaving aside the "alternative building" code questions, what is
the procedure once you are caught towards getting to an "as built"
permit? Are there any fines or penalties for being caught other
than having to possibly take apart some things so the inspector can
see the inside? Wouldn't Judith be well-advised to call the Head of
the building department and find out directly with him what steps she
can take? For her to make a personal appearance there would
probably be even better instead of waiting for some inspector to call
her back.
>
> I assume that the only reason the assessor knows about you is that
you told him as a friend. For others without that relationship
there would be another "being caught" episode when one of the
assessor's minions happens to catch them, but since usually assessors
have no direct connection with the building department, there would
probably be no penalties but only increased taxes from that point on.
>
> Neal
>
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
>
>
> Judith:I have been "caught" more than once by building code
people...... I absolutely refuse to function within the system unless
it cannot be avoided, but once you get "caught" you have to change
strategy. First rule to remember is know the guy / or gal..... always
remember their name, make a bit of small talk and don't forget that
daughter that's having a baby, or the new car they just bought,
or.... never forget the details. Treat them as a friend as much as
possible, bend.... don't resist, bend with the winds. Do not fight
them or be a problem unless they are intractably obstructionist, and
outside the legal limits of their supposed authority. flatter them,
tap them for their expertise, and their resources, suck them in,
stimulate their interest in your project.... and of the opposite
gender throw in a little very subtle aura of personal interest. Make
them feel knowledgeable, important and attractive... pay attention to
how they react to things, and what they say, learn their attitudes
and prejudices, and frame things to fit within those. Cultivate the
one individual shamelessly using every resource of charm and
manipulation you have available. NEVER defy, argue or obstruct.....
make them look forward to visiting you, and turn them into an ally.It
isn't easy to do this, and often goes against the grain......
Personally I am deeply resentful that some government agency thinks
they have authority over me in this area. I regard the building codes
department as a highly developed program of extortion operating
within the government and masquerading as a "service"..... but I
would never communicate that thought to one of these people. They are
the enforcers and "bagmen" for a protection racket that is little
different in nature from those the mafia runs. They will drive up
your costs, force contractors into the picture, permits, etc. Drive
you into the arms of a herd of bankers and finance companies.....
force you into the system. That's what they are there for........ You
can't beat them, and you can't "join" them, but you can induce them
to "join you".Neighbor visits, and contractors blowing the whistle
are the two most common ways people are caught. Here I am in a very
rural setting where nobody gets permits except for residential
construction, the assessor will know about my project almost as soon
as I begin...... he's a friend of mine (many years). He will assess,
visit, be intrigued, etc... but he is not directly connected to the
codes folks.Turn on the charm...... manipulate, manipulate.....
charm, and manipulate some more.... these folks are human and can
be "had".HowardJUDITH WILLIAMS wrote:> As many of you know I went
into my project without getting a permit. There were several
contributing factors to this. For one thing I never expected it to
grow into such a big thing and didn't have any plans drawn up. Also
working with no money and a bunch of other stuff. Anyway, a few weeks
ago a neighbor called for an inspection of his foundationa and I got
shut down. At first I freaked out and didn't know what to do. I've
done nothing but work at my job and then on this house for almost 3
years with no time off. All of a sudden I had what seemed to me like
nothing to do. Well anyway, to make a long story short, I'm over the
shock and rather enjoying some time off. I still don't know how to
procede. I've called the inspector but he hasn't gotten back to me so
I guess I'll call for an inspection to see where I stand and what I
can do the get it up to permit standards. I still don't have the
money it will take to get and architect and engineer but as it has
always happened with me the universe is aware and is providing what I
need. I went to a little bbq last night and the folks there suggested
I have a benefit at my place accepting donations. They have a band
which is very good and said they would love to perform for free. So
I'm thinking about doing that and also have been offered a weekend
job that pays very well. So, my advice to all who are concerned and
are planning to build a house with papercrete is to see about getting
a permit but don't let that stop you. I love my house as it's coming
along. I know it will get finished and will be beautiful. Just wanted
to keep you all informed. I've received so much encouragement and
wonderful advice form this group. Thanks to all of you. I'll let you
know about the party so you can come if you want.>
__________________________________________________________> Missed
the show? Watch videos of the Live Earth Concert on MSN.>

http://liveearth.msn.com
>
>
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> PC Magazine's 2007 editors' choice for best web mail—award-winning
Windows Live Hotmail.
> http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-
us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HMWL_mini_pcmag_0707
>



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/