Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Re: [papercreters] Re: Earthbag, Superadobe, Hiperdobe, why not Hiperpapercrete?





I've been reading here and learning for a couple of years and still haven't tackled the papercrete except for one disaster that was all my own fault. I didn't take pictures of the wall but I have pictures of the whole process of the 12 x 48 shed row barn that we built from recycled materials and without big 'power' tools. It's this group that taught me how to create drainage around the building and it worked :) We used a recycled billboard for the roof and that governed the dimensions but that has not been such a great success. There are cracks forming wherever it was folded for shipping so now, I am looking at that net wrap and papercrete and AE.  I have a lot to learn between now and next fall if I am going to get that roof 'right'.  Anyhow, for what it's worth, the entire structure was built for under $500. using only hand tools. The goals were to leave the smallest footprint possible, make it easier for me to get around and take care of everyone, providing shelter  without locking them up in conventional stalls and, the biggest goal, wearing me down less so that I can continue longer and avoid being trapped in suburbia for as long as possible. The challenge, here in the back side of rural nowhere AKA the hollows of WV is all in the mud, water, hills and lack of any convenient sources of supplies.
The photos probably aren't very technical and there are animal assistants through the whole process. My urban transplant daughter came to visit for the holidays and we put her to work, too. For anyone that is interested in living close to the land & free of regulations, this is a great place. Probably the last hidden 'wild' on the east side of the country.
https://picasaweb.google.com/106060429030466659564/20112012BuildingTheShedrow?authkey=Gv1sRgCOPwvOKwz6DkEg 

I almost forgot; for all my whining about that billboard roof, it has withstood 70mph winds without a hitch.
I am going to build another wall, since this structure was for the smaller critters and I want to prove to my son that he is wrong when he says that 'if man can build it, drafts can take it apart'. I will take photos.  I still have some concerns about what I used to stuff the original bags. Things might well be breeding inside that mess.
Clarissa




--- On Wed, 3/14/12, JayH <slurryguy@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: JayH <slurryguy@yahoo.com>
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Earthbag, Superadobe, Hiperdobe, why not Hiperpapercrete?
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 10:58 AM

 

I know it's not papercrete, but you should know better. Telling this group you have built something, but not posting photos? That's just not done, is it? ;)

Do you have photos of your wall? Even better yet, do you have photos of the construction process for building your wall?

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, cloud wall <windwalkerwill@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> Maybe, an alternative. This is net wrap, used by hay farmers to wrap large round bales. I know that they can contain 1200-1600# of hay in a compressed bale. Used stuff probably isn't a good option. I've tried saving it and you need an act of congress to get it off with out tangling it up. New, though, it could be laid out and the filling be placed down the center of the 4' width and then, fold the sides up and overlapped.  I built a bagged earth wall, determined to make something that draft horses couldn't destroy and intended to use papercrete to turn it into a solid wall. I never got there but, driving rebar posts for stability, barbed wire between the layers and used net wrap crammed in any holes,  I was able to make a small wall that the itches couldn't move. I coated the whole thing with AE so it wouldn't rot while I was getting around to attempting papercrete. It is still standing. Aside from the AE, all recycled materials. Hay farmers use it. It
> can't be expensive.
> One link for the net wrap:
> http://www.ambraco.com/BaleNetwrap/TamaNet_EdegToEdgeWithTamaTech_Netwrap.php
> Clarissa
> Peace and Harmony or Else
>
>



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___