Friday, June 11, 2010

Re: [papercreters] Re: extruded polypropylene as aggregate



Are we talking about EPS or polypropylene here? EPS is expanded with petane, an unhealthy gas. It slowly leaks out so you need to seal any surfaces toward living areas. EPS is also very flammable and will give off noxious fumes as it burns. It is dangerous enough that the codes require a firestop layer over any EPS.

I have a stack of EPS slabs that are 4" thick, that will be cut into triangles for a dome. Both the inside and outside will get a layer of fiber reinforced stucco that will make it a lot safer. Meanwhile I've let them sit and outgas for months before I am ready to set up the hot wire cutter table.

spaceman  All opinions expressed or implied are subject to change without notice upon receipt of new information.

On 6/11/2010 10:31 AM, Jim J wrote:
I've done some testing with adding both EPS and Drywall. I've made a brick of both. They (both) seemed to work well as I used newsprint paper as the main ingredient. I placed both bricks on top of my wood stove to see the insulating quantities and the the EPS foam brick out performed the other by a lot! It doesn't have the compressive strength but for infill walls is going to be what I'm going to use! I'd like to find an easy way to grind up and use old packing EPS that comes in every box of electronics, coffee pots, etc. so this would be a great way to cut down on landfill space! For my test brick I used a blender but in large quantities??? Any ideas would be great!  Jim J


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___