Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Re: [papercreters] Paper Content



Since I have been using cardboard exclusively for some time I don't have to deal with the different types of paper anymore. I have a large stack of donated newspapers but I'm saving them to make my mortar mix with as the fibers are shorter than the ones in cardboard. Cardboard has glue in it of some sort and I feel that that helps the blocks stick together better as well. The blocks I'm building now are very light and very strong and have approximately 1 shovel of clay per block and no cement. They dry a little slower than the ones I used to make with cement in them but I can live with that. The structure I'm putting up will require 3000 6X12X16" blocks so I'm saving a considerable amount on cement.

--- On Tue, 6/8/10, Ion Gorun <gorunweb@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Ion Gorun <gorunweb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Paper Content
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, June 8, 2010, 3:59 AM

 
Anthony --

Some comments from a papermaker, rather than a papercreter:
- ink is adhering to the surface of the paper, so when pulped, will separate. In fact, to "clean" the ink on the paper, we boil the paper with soap. Not sure this process is useful to you, though.
- news print is mostly recycled paper - so the cellulose fibers are shorter already (the are repulped) - and newspaper ink is covering a lot more of the surface of the paper then office printed paper.
- old books suffer from a lot of chemical additives to the paper - that is why it turns yellow (aciditiy of the pulp). Their paper is already sort of decaying.

Now, I would say (though I migth be wrong) that cellulose helps bonding in papercrete, so the longer the fibre the better bonding. Here, office paper is the best recycled paper you can get. Ink would not help at all, in my view.

Best,
Ion


2010/6/8 Anthony <shadowweaver2010@ yahoo.com>
Ok I know I ask a lot of questions but here is one that has plagued me over the last week.

When pulping my paper recently I divided the different types of paper up that I had and pulped them in seperate batches.

What piqued my curiosity was the ink content in the paper. In news print my pulped paper created a dark grey and rather mud like mixture.

However, when I pulped like regular printer/notebook paper it was more fluffy like a mirange or eggwhite custard.

Lastly when pulping old books that had the yellowed construction paper like pages the mixture did not pulp as well in fact it looked more like a cooked oatmeal.

While each of these had different textures is ink content an important aspect of the paper bonding or not bonding with the concrete?

Another thought was does the ink content in the paper have any adverse effects on the insulating value of the mix?

Anyone have any thoughts comments or knowledge on this?



------------ --------- --------- ------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
   http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/papercrete rs/

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
   http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/papercrete rs/join
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   papercreters- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
   papercreters- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
   papercreters- unsubscribe@ yahoogroups. com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
   http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/





__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___