Tuesday, June 15, 2010

[papercreters] Re: EPS or Styrofoam, Drywall Test Blocks

I just made the mixture a little thicker and it was fine, maybe just a little more on top but not much. If it's too soupy the EPS will float. (not by experiment but by experience)

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> Hi, just a quick note. I'm out making papercrete these days and not spending much time on the computer. Besides, my 24 year old daughter is living with me now and is on the computer most of the time.
>
>
>
> Anyway, some styrofoam accidently got into my mix. It was inside of a cardboard box I threw in. After it got chewed up the little beads floated around on the top. This was OK because they got mixed in when we put the slurry into the forms. I can't imagine using a lot of it though. It may be good for insulation but it may be hard to mix in in large quantities. If anyone has experience I would appreciate knowing how it works.
>
>
>
> As I said, I haven't been on the computer much lately so haven't been following this thread. So if it's already been covered please forgive me.
>
>
>
> The new project is coming out great. If you want to see what we're doing you can check out the blog. I should have more pics of the slip form/block walls in a few days. I am cajoling my daughter into taking over the blog psots for me but we'll see......
>
> Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
>
> More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
>
>
>
>
>
>
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> From: starwalkentertainment@...
> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:20:31 +0000
> Subject: [papercreters] Re: EPS or Styrofoam, Drywall Test Blocks
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Yes, I know this! Papercrete (for some unknown reason?) doesn't meet code for structural use. So to use it for that would be A. Foolish, B. Against the law, C. Too much labor for return on investment.
>
> SO... Adding EPS (which by the way BONDS VERY WELL with cement)in PC works great as an additional insulator.
>
> The reason we use PC is that is is environmentally better, reuses and keeps stuff out of the landfill and we just feel good about ourselves by using it.
>
> I'm not building a whole house out of papercrete, as that would be foolish for ME (notice I said me and not you). I'm wanting to use papercrete to form an insulation wall that is thick, sound proof, easy to build and environmentally friendly.
>
> So trying to increase the insulation and be more environmentally friendly by adding EPS to me is a win win!
> Jim
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "joel" <joelincalif@> wrote:
> >
> > I believe the mixing of a material with cement requires that both materials 'stick' well together (the strength of the concrete is the join of the cement and gravel (or paper)), and I'm afraid that anything made of poly or plastic won't stick well with cement. Cement is only the glue.
> >
> > Sure, you can create a mass of something with poly and cement but I don't believe it will be strong enough to be used as papercrete blocks in wall construction. It might be a very suitable addition as an insulation filer either inside or outside of a PC block wall.
> >
> > The difference between concrete and PC blocks is the compressibility; the stone agrate in cement will not compress, PC some and we all know how compressible Styrofoam is. The cement itself has little strength without the addition or stone, sand, ...
> >
> > Joel
> >
> > --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Jim J" <starwalkentertainment@> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > I used EPS is Expanded Polystyrene other wise known as "Styrofoam" the stuff they make "to go" coffee cups and restaurant "clam shell to go containers" out of. Not
> >
>
>
>
>
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox.
> http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_2
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/