Saturday, June 12, 2010

[papercreters] Re: EPS or Styrofoam, Drywall Test Blocks

have you tryed hucking in the waste foam into tow mixer with a sight sealed lid... or would most of it float(in air but still)?

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Jim J" <starwalkentertainment@...> wrote:
>
>
> I used EPS is Expanded Polystyrene other wise known as "Styrofoam" the stuff they make "to go" coffee cups and restaurant "clam shell to go containers" out of. Not the Extruded Polypropylene for my tests.
> The EPS has or reacts to static that along with the light weight and irregular shapes of the scrap makes it very difficult to "process" to use in papercrete. But really makes a nice light weight and insulative (if that's a word) block!
> The EPS did melt and blackened on the outside of the block but never caught fire when I did a burn test.
> I really don't think there is "noxious" gas from this stuff as it is the same stuff they use in "bean bag" chairs and bone pillows and some stuffed toys. I know some rigid board insulation has formaldehyde which may be the extruded polypropylene which shouldn't be used in homes!!!!
> I'm looking for ideas on how to chop up the EPS into small tiny peices which blend easly into papercrete.
> Is there an easy cheap way? Please Help
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "prrr.t21@" <prrr@> wrote:
> >
> > Good to hear your test results, I'm always interested in new mixes.
> >
> > If you mean the standard packing foam, I believe that's polystyrene rather than polypropylene. Will your paddle mixer shred the foam if the blades are sharpened?
> >
> >
> > >
> > > I've done some testing with adding both EPS and Drywall. I've made a brick of both. They (both) seemed to work well as I used newsprint paper as the main ingredient. I placed both bricks on top of my wood stove to see the insulating quantities and the the EPS foam brick out performed the other by a lot! It doesn't have the compressive strength but for infill walls is going to be what I'm going to use!
> > > I'd like to find an easy way to grind up and use old packing EPS that comes in every box of electronics, coffee pots, etc. so this would be a great way to cut down on landfill space! For my test brick I used a blender but in large quantities??? Any ideas would be great!
> > > Jim J
> > >
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/