Sunday, May 9, 2010

Re: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete Garden Wall



Sholmes,
I see no one has answered your recipes question.  I haven't tried latex in my mixes because I have no "obtanium" source for it.  I would caution you that if you live in a humid environment and get frequent rain, you should definitely use a higher percent of cement in your mix.  I would never go below a 1:1 ratio of paper to cement.  I would consider for your unprotected application a 1:1.5 mix (10 lbs. of paper to 15 lbs. of cement).  The amount of water is not an issue since it drains out and evaporates off.
Ron

--- On Sun, 5/9/10, sholmes_pta <sholmes_pta@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: sholmes_pta <sholmes_pta@yahoo.com>
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete Garden Wall
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, May 9, 2010, 6:05 AM

 


Thank you all for your help and input. I am going to try to start soaking my paper today. I think I will make a few garden pots and try one with latex and another with the deck stain and let them sit out for a few days to see how they hold up.

If I make a batch of paper pulp in a trash can does anyone know how long it may last before it starts to go bad? I am assuming that after a while, it may start to mold or smell.

--- In papercreters@ yahoogroups. com, "F." <fml@...> wrote:
>
> I have some information that may be helpful to you here: http://papercretepa radise.blogspot. com/
> I've had luck building large decorative outdoor structures using two methods: slip form and daubing over a wire armature. Making slip forms would be too difficult without some sort of larger mixer, but you can make the mix for daubing in a five gallon bucket by hand.
> The slip-form wall I made has stood up well to the elements, but then my cat starting using it as a scratching post, so I experimented with covering it with a lime/sand plaster, which made an even prettier wall and has so far has solved the scratching post problem.
> Thanks.
> Mike
>
> --- In papercreters@ yahoogroups. com, "sholmes_pta" <sholmes_pta@ > wrote:
> >
> > Have you ever read something, gotten an idea, & you eat, sleep & dream it. I stumbled across papercrete when researching making my own garden container pots. Now…well, I have so many ideas. There is so much info out that I am hoping I can get inspired as well as correctly informed here.
> >
> > My largest idea is replacing a lattice type fence that surrounds my composting area with a papercrete wall that would resemble stacked rock wall. I would like to make a mold to make flat stone type bricks but have so many questions. If anyone has any helpful information, I would greatly appreciate it. If it matters, I live in central North Carolina where we have our share of rain & humidity. Hubby doesn't "get" my projects so most will have to be easy for me to do on my own. But I am handy with a few of his tools.
> >
> > 1. Are there different recipes for different structure types?
> > 2. Since it is exposed to the elements do I need to seal it & or worry about insects?
> > 3. Can I use a stain on it to match our fencing and deck?
> > 4. Since I will be stacking them, what is the best way to lay them? (do I need to use what ever masons use or can I use papercrete between them. I have never laid brick before)
> > 5. I will be making this in small batches. Can I mix with something fixed onto my electric drill?
> >
>



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___