Tuesday, May 11, 2010

[papercreters] Just post photos

I am currently working for the City of Sayre, to make useable an old
building, it is a clay block wall building and has steel frame tilt
windows. I've decided to not try to save one of the windows because it
has been so abused in the past it would be impossible to make it air
tight and useable again, so I've decided to slip form papercrete on the
inside and apply siding over the window on the outside. I've never used
blow in cellouse insulation so I thought this would be a good place to
try it. It is made mostly of old news papers, I decided to use a 1 to 1
ratio mix hoping it would dry faster and maybe be a little stronger. I
started the slip form last Friday poured about 5 ft wide and 3 ft high
and let it set over the weekend, hoping when I took the forms off Monday
morning it would be hard to the touch like my mix I use at home. Boy was
I disappointed! Is was still wet feeling and not very firm. I did take
off two of the form boards to reuse on top of the last one left in
place. But his mixture is nothing like my mix at home, I use only
shredded office paper or cardboard and office paper at a ratio of 6 pulp
to 4 clay and 2 cement. This mixture sets up over night and is hard to
the touch next morning and does not use as much cement per pulp as the
one with the insulation. Tomorrow I'm going to try my original formula
and see what happens. I've posted photos of the slip forming process.

BTB


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/