Sunday, May 23, 2010

[papercreters] Re: Broken glass

Thank you Judith, The other day after I poured my second wall with your suggestions,I was cleaning out the area that my grandfather orginally used to stack fire wood and kindling wood. I ended up with a pile of small 2x4 and 2x6 blocks that he had thrown in there for kindling. My next wall I am going to use those as fillers in the center as they are "wood" I think the lime in the slurry should at least affect the outter surface of these blocks if not penetrate them completely when the slurry is wet. I am hoping to see the blocks themselves harden like it would with paper based slurry. It would be like having rocks in the middle of the mix. Again to those of you whose suggestions I have used to date, I would like to thank you again for your input, your ideas are invaluable. Plus, I always like learning something new..;)

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> Hi Anthony, it's good to see you here on the group with such good questions and comments.
>
>
>
> I was working on my slip form walls the other day and drinking beer and set the bottle down in the form. Then I thought why not just leave it there, which is what I did along with a Coke can. The only problem was that they did not want to be displaced by the slurry and floated out to the side. Your suggestion about filling them is a good one.
>
>
>
> After I did this I realized that I may want to cut out some windows there and these things will be exposed. I will deal with that when the time comes but will be mindful of it in the future.
>
>
>
> I am actually thinking of hiding other things in the walls, don't know what yet. But anything that cuts down on contributing to the landfill while saving me mixing more slurry is good in my book.
>
>
>
>
>
> Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
>
> More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
>
>
>
>
>
>
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> From: shadowweaver2010@...
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 17:46:09 +0000
> Subject: [papercreters] Re: Broken glass
>
>
>
>
>
>
> After reading this and many replies that have come along with it I wonder about plastic soda bottles using them as a filler in the wall. I kinda sketched some ideas down but one idea was to fill the bottles with water and then when the wall was set up take a nail and poke them from the lower end before the wall completely dried. This would allow the water to drain out and then you have a large void in your wall that would act as an insulator. I actually got the idea from watching transformers when Sam and Makala hid in the adobe house in the desert. One of the walls in the house seemed to be built out of plastic bottles and adobe. Just a thought not sure that was what you were looking for though.
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "prrr.t21@" <prrr@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> >
> > I tried mixing broken glass in with a soft papercrete mix, 50/50 by weight glass to papercrete mix. The result had better compressive strength, and costs less in cement. There doesnt seem to be much bonding between the papercrete and glass though, so tensile strength remains poor. It also reduced shrink during drying.
> >
> > Has anyone tested various other aggregate/filler possibilities, such as wood chips, chopped plastics, straw, concrete debris, food cans, whole glass jars, plasterboard waste, hardcore and so on?
> >
> >
> > NT
> >
>
>
>
>
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail.
> http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multicalendar&ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_5
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/