Saturday, May 15, 2010

Re: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete Garden Wall



Hey Calle,

you should be able to buy it wherever you buy cement, Acrylic bonding agent is usually sold as an additive for concrete or cement. It looks like pva wood glue ie thickish white liquid, . The larger the container the cheaper it is, here in Australia you might pay $25 for a 4litre container at the local hardware, you can dilute it down. It's probably more expensive than pva or latex but it is more water resistant



From: "valledecalle@yahoo.com" <valledecalle@yahoo.com>
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, 16 May, 2010 7:19:14 AM
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete Garden Wall

 

How expensive are these resins, and where do you buy them.

Calle


From: First NameHarryJ Jones <harryj1915@yahoo. com.au>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 15:24:14 -0700 (PDT)
To: <papercreters@ yahoogroups. com>
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete Garden Wall

 

Trev, what about just adding something like Bondcrete or similar acrylic additive, it's just like paint without the fillers and tint. I think people are just using latex paint because they have it left over from painting jobs so it costs nothing! The downside in using latex or pva  is they're not as resilient to moisture as acrylic resins .


From: Trevor Grigson <surferman@optusnet. com.au>
To: papercreters@ yahoogroups. com
Sent: Mon, 10 May, 2010 7:25:43 AM
Subject: RE: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete Garden Wall

 

It has a lot to do with the wicking effect of the fibres in papercrete, plus also controls the expansion and contraction of the paper fibres by waterproofing them, which tends to stop breaking down of the adhesion between the cement and the fibres as they expand and contract. So all in all, it doesn't make the wall waterproof, it controls wicking and it makes the papercrete itself waterproof so it doesn't break down.

 

Which has got me thinking, the expensive bit of paint is the titanium dioxide, not the acrylic base, since I'm looking at introducing papercrete here in Tasmania where building codes are very strict, I wonder if I could buy paint base cheaply by the 200L drum?.

 

Trev

 

From: papercreters@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:papercreter s@yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Neal Chabot
Sent: Monday, 10 May 2010 3:39 AM
To: papercreters@ yahoogroups. com
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete Garden Wall

 

 

Perhaps acrylic in Portland increases the plasticity, but waterproofing?   What I'm puzzled about, for those folks who add latex in their mix, is how they expect it to be waterproof from a common sense point of view.   Waterproofing is usually a property of membranes on the outer surface of a wall such as latex paint.   The outer membrane protects against rain and keeps the water out of the insides of the wall.   But when you mix everything together, there is no more membrane.   The waterproofing material is disbursed into particles everywhere in the wall.   So the question is, what good is a particle of latex 8 or 10 inches inside the wall when a rainstorm comes and the water starts soaking in from the outside?

 

Neal 

 


----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Boersema" picknick@sympatico. ca
 

It will make quite a difference depending on what the active ingredient in the deck stain is.  If it is acrylic then it may work quite well.  I use acrylic in straight Portland powder to make roofing and thin shell things.

 

Nick

 


From: papercreters@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:papercreter s@yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of sholmes_pta
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2010 10:05 AM
To: papercreters@ yahoogroups. com
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete Garden Wall

 

 


Thank you all for your help and input. I am going to try to start soaking my paper today. I think I will make a few garden pots and try one with latex and another with the deck stain and let them sit out for a few days to see how they hold up.

If I make a batch of paper pulp in a trash can does anyone know how long it may last before it starts to go bad? I am assuming that after a while, it may start to mold or smell.

--- In papercreters@ yahoogroups. com, "F." <fml@...> wrote:
>
> I have some information that may be helpful to you here: http://papercretepa radise.blogspot. com/
> I've had luck building large decorative outdoor structures using two methods: slip form and daubing over a wire armature. Making slip forms would be too difficult without some sort of larger mixer, but you can make the mix for daubing in a five gallon bucket by hand.
> The slip-form wall I made has stood up well to the elements, but then my cat starting using it as a scratching post, so I experimented with covering it with a lime/sand plaster, which made an even prettier wall and has so far has solved the scratching post problem.
> Thanks.
> Mike
>
> --- In papercreters@ yahoogroups. com, "sholmes_pta" <sholmes_pta@> wrote:
> >
> > Have you ever read something, gotten an idea, & you eat, sleep & dream it. I stumbled across papercrete when researching making my own garden container pots. Now…well, I have so many ideas. There is so much info out that I am hoping I can get inspired as well as correctly informed here.
> >
> > My largest idea is replacing a lattice type fence that surrounds my composting area with a papercrete wall that would resemble stacked rock wall. I would like to make a mold to make flat stone type bricks but have so many questions. If anyone has any helpful information, I would greatly appreciate it. If it matters, I live in central North Carolina where we have our share of rain & humidity. Hubby doesn't "get" my projects so most will have to be easy for me to do on my own. But I am handy with a few of his tools.
> >
> > 1. Are there different recipes for different structure types?
> > 2. Since it is exposed to the elements do I need to seal it & or worry about insects?
> > 3. Can I use a stain on it to match our fencing and deck?
> > 4. Since I will be stacking them, what is the best way to lay them? (do I need to use what ever masons use or can I use papercrete between them. I have never laid brick before)
> > 5. I will be making this in small batches. Can I mix with something fixed onto my electric drill?
> >
>


 

 

__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___