Wednesday, May 26, 2010

[papercreters] Re: Newbie questions



Paddle vertical

I use the above mixing blade, when at rest (and clean, which it is not clean in this photo) the blades hang down, the second it is engaged it opens up into a 5 blade mixing paddle, the ends of the blades are rounded so you can run it right up against the sides of a plastic bucket and do no harm, I can mix 20 gallons of pulp in less than 3 minutes. When I first started I used it to do the entire mix and still do on small batches (5 gallons or less) but now I mostly use it to pulp my paper before loading the cement mixer with the pulp. I have learned to keep two gallons of wet pulp aside and mix my dry portland cement with those two wet gallons of pulp and then add that to the wet pulp in the mixer, it seems to make a quicker slurry and is ready for the dry clay addition which I do last after the cement has been sucked into the pulp.

BTB
--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "amherstburg46" <amherstburg46@...> wrote:
>
> First of all, for a mixer. I have read that you can use an "x" stucco blade attached to a drill to mix the papercrete. I have not been able to find them locally, and I was wondering if a paint mixer drill attachment would suffice ? Just looking at it there would be very litte of a cutting effect. Right now, I am only looking at doing a few small test batches, so I would not be interested in investing time and money into any of those wonderful mixing machines people on here seem to be making.
>
> Another question. I live in a humid part of Canada and intend to use make a large solar greenhouse with the papercrete. So I am interested in something with a high insulating value which at the same time is resistant to mold and rot associated with high humidity. I was wondering if it would be possible to create a brick much like a bi-metal coin (a toonie for any Canadians reading this). I could create the first brick with just paper and concrete. I would obviously shrink with that sort of mixture. When it dried, and shrank, I would put it in the same mould which I would then fill with a mix that had high amounts of concrete and sand. This would create a brick with an insulating interior but a strong, mould resistant exterior.
>
> If anyone could provide a clue, I would appreciate it. Thanks
>



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___