Sunday, May 23, 2010

[papercreters] Re: Bob's blocks and rocks

Bob, I am in college right now and this semester I am taking statics strengths of materials. I have the pulp ready I think I am going to talk to the instructor to see if we can do some compressive strength tests on some compressed blocks. That press you have pictured is like the bearing press that we have in our machine shop so I think I can modify a form to fit it and try it there. I am curious as to what the strength of these compressed blocks might be, or if it would be of any value.
Another thought that came to mind was based on when Judith had told me about the pumice that seems to be abundant out west. Wonder if the pumice in a compressed block such as that would make it lighter and stronger, just a thought mind you.
--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "countryatheartok" <criswells.ok@...> wrote:
>
>
> [20 TON SHOP PRESS]
>
> The above press is what I used to make my first three blocks, (actually
> the first one was a log like thing) the first block using my homemade
> form was 16" long 12" wide and 9" tall, this pressed down to 7" tall,
> using a mixture of 6 parts paper pulp, three parts sand and 1 parts
> portland cement, this block weight when dry 63 lbs way to heavy to be
> useful, the next one I cut the formula in half and it weight half that
> much and was still too heavy to use. Never tried it with out sand. Then
> I discovered the T Lox Blox system and now I am using a combination of
> that and slip forming and will never make block again unless someone
> wants to buy them for their own use, then I might reconsider.
>
> BTB
>
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <shadowweaver2010@>
> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Bob, I was looking through your pics, some great stuff there, I did
> notice where you said that you had attempted pressing the blocks. My
> question is what kind of form did you use or did you build a special
> apperatus to press them with?
> > --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "countryatheartok" criswells.ok@
> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > I have just finished posting some updates to my slip form wall and
> also
> > > some new ideas for making stones, one uses Papercrete to make a
> master
> > > mold, the other uses wet sand to make a mold, the sand idea is new
> to me
> > > and the papercrete mold is modifyed from last year.
> > >
> > > BTB
> > >
> >
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/