Sunday, February 14, 2010

Re: [papercreters] Controversy



This is just an idea but The mixers aren't out on the road a great deal and even with the rear end full of oil it will have a air space which will allow water to enter and mix with the oil this can create foaming or displacement of the oil . I suggest filling the whole diff. with grease and drilling and tapping it with a grease fitting this should supply plenty of lubrication and also make it less susceptible to water entry

Thanks!

Jeff S Gomes

--- On Thu, 2/11/10, Ron Richter <ronerichter@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Ron Richter <ronerichter@yahoo.com>
Subject: [papercreters] Controversy
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 6:52 PM



Hi Group,
Well we can safely say the winter doldrums are officially over!  Months have gone by without so much as 2 or 3 posts to this forum a week.  Throw a little controversy into the mix and VIOLA!  

Good to have something to chew on for the upcoming summer. 

By the way I haven't had a chance to disclose what i found in my towmixer guts when I tore into it at Christmas time.  To refresh memories I had a wheel lock up while towing my last few batches last summer.  The bearing in the nose of the differential was toast.  And even though I had filled the differential with used oil at the beginning of last summer, it was full of water (well ice because it had been cold before it warmed up enough for me to tear it down).  So I am thinking 2 things may have happened.  One is that for 3 years I used it without adding the oil to fill the differential (lack of foresight).  The second is that even though I penetrated the bottom of my tank with an axle instead of the whole nose of the differential, water could have been coming down into the differential from the tank.  I can only conjecture what happens under there as I work alone and rarely can see under the tank. 

All the aforementioned aside, I will get a new (different) differential and start over when I get back to it being sure to fill the differential with oil regularly.  I would add this to my yearly MEL (minimum equipment list)

Later,
Ron





__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___