Thursday, February 11, 2010

RE: [papercreters] Controversy



That's very interesting. I never even knew that I was supposed to add oil to anything. I had observed foam on top of the batch when done mixing and reasoned that it had to be coming from somewhere so when the group was here in Sept Spaceman was kind enough to pull the whole thing apart. We had to flip the mixer on its back to get at it  Now, Spaceman will have to give the specifics of what he found in there. I just know that it was in pretty good shape for not having been maintained at all for 4 years. And Spaceman, could you please share that lovely pic of the gears with the oil on them? And the one you cropped so you can't tell what it is.

This is a good example of the kind of posts that are interesting, helpful, and on topic. Thanks Ron.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new papercrete blog http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog and leave me a comment.

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: ronerichter@yahoo.com
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:52:18 -0800
Subject: [papercreters] Controversy

 
Hi Group,
Well we can safely say the winter doldrums are officially over!  Months have gone by without so much as 2 or 3 posts to this forum a week.  Throw a little controversy into the mix and VIOLA!  

Good to have something to chew on for the upcoming summer. 

By the way I haven't had a chance to disclose what i found in my towmixer guts when I tore into it at Christmas time.  To refresh memories I had a wheel lock up while towing my last few batches last summer.  The bearing in the nose of the differential was toast.  And even though I had filled the differential with used oil at the beginning of last summer, it was full of water (well ice because it had been cold before it warmed up enough for me to tear it down).  So I am thinking 2 things may have happened.  One is that for 3 years I used it without adding the oil to fill the differential (lack of foresight).  The second is that even though I penetrated the bottom of my tank with an axle instead of the whole nose of the differential, water could have been coming down into the differential from the tank.  I can only conjecture what happens under there as I work alone and rarely can see under the tank. 

All the aforementioned aside, I will get a new (different) differential and start over when I get back to it being sure to fill the differential with oil regularly.  I would add this to my yearly MEL (minimum equipment list)

Later,
Ron



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___