Wednesday, February 10, 2010

[papercreters] Re: sawdust

I used sawdust when I had a free supply. Charmaine sells the Jack Bay plans for Rub-R-Slate and he recommended soaking the sawdust in either a 1 to 1 solution of Asphalt Emulsion to water, or an even weaker solution, then stirring it while it dries. After that it won't absorb water and can be mixed in with the pc. One project used the sawdust by itself encapsulated inside walls which were probably alot like the sawdust/clay mix used by gakayaker, but lighter. The coarse sawdust was what Bays recommended--more like the kind from the planer, but I used it all. Some of the 'meal' or 'flour' consistency clumped together more than the rest but it was still useable for me. The "use what's at hand" philosophy is right!


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Pack McKibben <gakayaker@...> wrote:
>
> I live in an area where free sawdust is plentiful and (having no tow mixer) shredding paper is time
> consuming and a hassle. So I decided to build my wall with a sawdust/clay slip as my thermal mass
> insulation core. I used forms to tamp in the sawdust/clay mix (6.5"). Used an earthen plaster (1.5") on the inside
> and a cordwood mortared veneer (5.5") on the outside, all utilizing the philosophy to use what's at hand.
> I used a white clay/shredded paper mix to fill in the gable. The thing I love about Natural Building is utilizing
> what seems best to use with what you have available. Papercrete, cob, strawbale, earthbags, sawdust, etc...
> Picture: sawdust/clay slip core
> http://home.windstream.net/gakayaker/porch.jpgPack
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/