Monday, February 15, 2010

[papercreters] Was Mixer fixer



You are wise to consider the tow mixer. I have made, on a long summer day, 10 batches. This is a lot of blocks, all by myself and not working extra hard. You get into a "zone". It's a wonderful thing.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new papercrete blog http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog and leave me a comment.

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: joelincalif@aim.com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 03:14:20 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Mixer fixer was/Controversy

 
Hello group,

On the way to work I had time to reflect and now realize I was mistaken on my stance that the tow mixing technique was too much work or bother to make papercrete. On the 40 minute drive I couldn't think of anything better for the shear volume of material that can be made cheaply in a few minutes. I watched a video of a fellow who made 46 poured bricks in less then 30 minutes and he figured he could do this all day. So if a great mass of the stuff is needed then that looks to be the best way to go.

I'd still like to find a standard way to make a cement mixer full at a time. Neither my cement mixer nor stucco sprayer will break up the paper so I'm forced to seek out shreaded paper as the source.

Joel

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> One thing I really like about papercrete is that you get a wall you can plaster without having the sheath the inside and outside. Even if it isn't actually supporting the roof I can see a lot of benefit in using papercrete as infill. And as far as using ready-made materials - well it's like everything else in life. You really can't generalize. You have to take context into consideration. I like to make cakes from scratch but if I'm in a hurry I'd surely rather have a box mix cake than one from the supermarket.
>
> Sincerely, Judith
>
> Check out my new papercrete blog http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog and leave me a comment.
>
> Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
>
>
>
>
> EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
> Join me
>
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> From: joelincalif@...
> Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 01:36:53 +0000
> Subject: [papercreters] Re: Mixer fixer was/Controversy
>
>
>
> True, I agree "why not just infill with cellulose, foam or fiberglass insulation?"
>
>
>
> Unless the infill can also supply some structural support or additional value (higher R value) for the effort. Good point! I'll have to think on that some.
>
>
>
> I don't believe I need to use very specialized techniques followed with back breaking labor to produce a quality product. My free labor isn't cheap and if I can arrange some pre-processed materials at a reasonable cost to help me along then I'm going for it.
>
>
>
> Joel
>
>
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Donald Miller <donald1miller@> wrote:
>
> >
>
> > Â
>
> > Â
>
> > In reading a lot of the posts in this forum of late, I seem to see a lot of people looking for a quick fix. Papercrete is labor intensive but that is the beauty of it. The material can be had free but for the expenditure of some time on your part. A lot of our problems in our current society is the result of the quick fix free ride mentality. If one is going to build with a lot of concrete which is most definitely not green, and one is unwilling to expend some time and sweat to make your own papercrete, then why not just infill with cellulose, foam or fiberglass insulation?
>
> >
>
> > --- On Sat, 2/13/10, joelincalif <joelincalif@> wrote:
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > From: joelincalif <joelincalif@>
>
> > Subject: [papercreters] Re: Mixer fixer was/Controversy
>
> > To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
>
> > Date: Saturday, February 13, 2010, 5:48 PM
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Â
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Hello all,
>
> >
>
> > It's the shredded paper that is hard to get. Waste paper and cardboard can be found most anywhere for free. I'd like to use papercrete for infill installation between inner and outer concrete walls - like a double dome. I'd also like to ensure the inner and outer walls are not connected together with steel or anything that will conduct the cold/hot except around windows and doors.
>




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___