Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Re: [papercreters] Re: Testing R value



I imagine that the type of paper would have an effect, but don't know what it would be. Until someone does the actual testing then it is all speculation.


valledecalle@yahoo.com wrote:

Spaceman, does the kind of paper matter? I would think that newsprint is more absorbent, cardboard is less refined, magazines have more additives, and office paper another kind of finish or bleaching process.

So they may react differently. Having pulled sheets of paper for "Handmade Paper" cotton does very different than say fiber from bananas, or tree fibers.

So when the discussion is on being consistent, dosen't that mean paper content also?
Thought we read somewhere that the clay content of the glossy magazines did something to the end product.

So wouldn't it effect the overall R value?

In chemistry even a small variable can change the outcome.
Calle
From: Ron Richter <ronerichter@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:42:44 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Testing R value

 
Spaceman,
Thanks, that is the practical part of my question just how to do it.  I suspect he had the ice in a plastic bag otherwise as it melted it would soak into the sample and change the values drastically.  I see control issues like: uniform exterior temp to get a rate, an exact amount of water (ice) etc.  I wonder if he used one thermometer on the exterior and one on the interior, or if he had thermocouples embedded through the sample.

Bob,
Isn't Wikipedia great?  I can understand most of what you found with a little head scratching, what I can't quite envision is the apparatus.  I want to make it so the readings give us a good measure of what we are testing.  There will be plenty of room for error probably but if it is done consistently each time a sample is made, then the trend will show differences in thermal conductivity with varying ingredients. 

Thanks, and don't stop there if you come up with more ideas.  Bob, I will need to squeeze the samples eventually, so I may lean on you for ideas when I figure out how to measure and what the sample size and shape will be.

I have to fly everything out from Anchorage and it costs .80/pound for freight, so the $15.00 bag of Portland will actually cost $90.20.  I may buy a smaller bag or buy one in Anchorage and have someone send me part of it.  The samples will be small so they will require a correspondingly small amount of Portland.

Ron

 
No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.432 / Virus Database: 270.14.140/2621 - Release Date: 01/14/10 12:39:00


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___