Friday, January 15, 2010

Re: [papercreters] Re: Testing R value



Spaceman,
Thanks, that is the practical part of my question just how to do it.  I suspect he had the ice in a plastic bag otherwise as it melted it would soak into the sample and change the values drastically.  I see control issues like: uniform exterior temp to get a rate, an exact amount of water (ice) etc.  I wonder if he used one thermometer on the exterior and one on the interior, or if he had thermocouples embedded through the sample.

Bob,
Isn't Wikipedia great?  I can understand most of what you found with a little head scratching, what I can't quite envision is the apparatus.  I want to make it so the readings give us a good measure of what we are testing.  There will be plenty of room for error probably but if it is done consistently each time a sample is made, then the trend will show differences in thermal conductivity with varying ingredients. 

Thanks, and don't stop there if you come up with more ideas.  Bob, I will need to squeeze the samples eventually, so I may lean on you for ideas when I figure out how to measure and what the sample size and shape will be.

I have to fly everything out from Anchorage and it costs .80/pound for freight, so the $15.00 bag of Portland will actually cost $90.20.  I may buy a smaller bag or buy one in Anchorage and have someone send me part of it.  The samples will be small so they will require a correspondingly small amount of Portland.

Ron



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___