Sunday, January 17, 2010

RE: [papercreters] Re: earthquakes & papercrete



The wire mesh on the inside and outside of walls seems like the best reinforcement for papercrete. I often try to visualize what would happen to a papercrete building in an earthquake. As I look at my building no I can see the walls falling down and not being heavy enough to kill me, but the vigas would definitely do me in. I have never been in an earthquake so am not really well aquainted with the forces but I would say that a papercrete dome with this mesh reinforcement would offer the best construction to withstand a quake. I am not so sure about putting vertical and/or horizontal rebar in the walls. My experience is that the rebar being rigid and the PC being sort of flexible would not work. The rebar, if stressed enough, would rip through the papercrete. This is just my opinion. It could very well be way off.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: mnees@yahoo.com
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:10:53 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Re: earthquakes & papercrete

 


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "TerryW" <blazingsaddles@...> wrote:
>
> Hi, I'm still around, and I was just wondering about the Haiti earthquake, seeing all those concrete buildings just collapse like they did.
>
> Anyone have some ideas on why they collapsed, was the quake just that strong or the buildings that weak?
>
> I'm wondering how a papercrete building would hold up in a big quake.
>
> Terry in AZ
>
----------------------------------------------------------

Newscasters have mentioned more than once in the last couple of days that building code enforcement is very lax in Haiti. In the pictures of the devastation, steel reinforcement (rebar) seems to be largely absent. Just an observation.

So, you ask how a papercrete building would hold up in a quake? The answer is going to depend on how well it was built. Some sort of reinforcement would seem to me to be required. As I recall some construction guides recommend pounding vertical rebar down through multiple layers of papercrete blocks during wall assembly.

Five or six years ago I happened across a web site about preventing earthquake deaths in third world countries. The focus of the web site was that so many poor people live in adobe buildings that crumble and collapse in a quake, causing enormous number of fatalities. They were researching a way to retrofit adobe block buildings to improve survivability.
The design they came up with was to apply a layer of heavy welded wire fence at the corners and across the top of the walls, inside and out. The layers are held in place by wires run thru the walls and wrapped onto the welded wire. Then the entire structure is coated with a layer of ferrocement, inside and out.

I am no structural engineer, but my intuitive building sense thinks this concept could be applied to papercrete buildings.




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___