Friday, July 20, 2007

Re: [papercreters] you all inspire me.....

What structure did you use to create your block?  What did you put the mixture into?
 
Bontie
 
 
-------Original Message-------
 
From: mdumiller
Date: 7/20/2007 7:47:34 PM
Subject: [papercreters] you all inspire me.....
 
I am an architect, and I just had to try to make a batch of this
stuff.  I have a few stats I'll share that might help someone else,
since I wasn't sure what I was getting into.
 
Measured out 90 grams of paper and 15 grams each of portland, lime,
clay, and a calcium carbonate/silicate mix I had (couldn't find my
bag of sand).  Tossed in 5 grams each of borax and burnt umber (for
color - burnt umber is mostly clay).  This is based (loosely) on the
recipe from Robert Merrill.  I pureed the paper in the blender in a
couple of batches, set into a colander to strain for awhile, then
mixed everything together.  What amazed me was the amount of water
this took even after draining the puree in the colander.  Here's the
numbers:
160 grams of dry materials  -  Total dry weight 160 grams
1100 grams of water (after draining paper puree)
which created:   a block 3.5" X 4" X 5"  Total wet weight 1260 grams.
 
Thus a cubic foot of this material is 8.7 lbs when zero moisture.
Assuming the moisture content gets down eventually to 8% or less by
volume, then a cubic foot of this stuff should be about 14-15 lbs.
(based on a cubic foot of water being about 64 pounds, so 8% would
add 1/8 X 64, about 5 pounds of moisture - that seems like a lot for
some reason...)
....my conclusion, is, that this material looks pretty incredible --
and I like the burnt umber color, looks kind of like a chunk of
Hershey's chocolate.
I'll be tracking the weight periodically over the next week as the
block dries.  Can't wait to put some compression loads on some
samples.
thanks to all for their freely sharing of info on this group.
 
 
 
 
 
Free Animations for your email - By IncrediMail! Click Here! __._,_.___


SPONSORED LINKS
Home repair improvement Papercrete Uniform building code
1997 uniform building code Uniform building code online

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___