Friday, July 20, 2007

Re: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete Weight

SG:
On my vehicle ramps...... and I don't use them often..... I attach a
piece of flat steel that extends out so that the vehicle first rolls
onto the steel which is quite thin... ordinary flashing would work. The
weight of the vehicle sitting on the metal keeps the ramp from being
able to slide or squirt away. Consider screwing a piece to the bottom
of your demo ramp.... extend it 6-8 inches out.......as needed..... it
will absolutely eliminate this problem.

Howard

slurryguy wrote:
> Right on target. Air is a key component in papercrete. It
> drastically affects density.
>
> The final density of papercrete, as you stated, is affected by many
> things. The densities of the ingredients in the mix, the degree to
> which they intermingle with each other, and the amount of compression
> that is imparted upon the slurry.
>
>
> Convincing someone that is well versed in standard construction
> materials about the virtues of papercrete can be difficult to do
> verbally. The stuff defies logic. Your idea of handing him a block
> of the stuff is probably the best way to open his eyes. When I first
> read about it, I scoffed at it. "No way" I laughed. When I made my
> first batch I had no confidence that it could possibly work. I
> thought I was proving that it was a farce.
>
> I proved myself wrong. The more I played with it, the more
> fascinated I became. It has many amazing properties.
>
> It doesn't take a monster 200 gallon mixer to make a sample. I
> suggest you experiment and make some. It will be very helpful in
> future discussions. I keep a chunk in my vehicle just to show
> someone when impromptu discussions take place. That chunk of
> papercrete has been run over a bunch of times! I shaped it like a
> ramp to make it easier to drive over. The best part of that
> demonstration is watching someone's eye but out!
> heh heh heh
>
> If you try driving over a chunk, please be careful. Don't let anyone
> stand too close, especially behind the vehicle. Sometimes the block
> can fly out from under the wheel. (Yes, I gunned it too much once
> and made it fly. No harm was done because precautions were taken.)
> Don't make your block too tall either. You don't want to damage your
> car if the block squirts out.
>
>
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "John Annesley" <John@...> wrote:
>> I think I may have an answer to my own question here. As to how/why
> a cubic foot of
>> papercrete composed of paper, portland and sand can weigh less than
> a cubic foot of
>> tissue paper, here's my answer:
>>
>> A cubic foot of tissue paper is not a loosely stacked pile of
> tissue paper, but instead a
>> dense block of the stuff with no air gap between sheets. Think King
> James Bible, only a
>> foot wide, a foot long, and a foot thick. Those tissue-thin sheets
> would likely weigh in at
>> 17.28 pounds or more without difficulty, kind of like holding a
> couple pieces of cord
>> wood.
>>
>> One sack of portland (60 pounds) and one sack of sand (94 pounds)
> along with 60 pounds
>> of paper = 214 pounds. That and perhaps a hundred or more gallons
> of water will fill a
>> 200 gallon stock tank. Each 200 gallon batch creates 25-30 blocks
> which are 1 foot x 2
>> feet x 5 inches, or 2 square feet at five inches thick per block.
> 25 x 2 square feet equals
>> 50 square feet of coverage at 5 inches thick when dry. That entire
> volume weighs a total of
>> 214 pounds. Divide 214 by 50 and you have 4.28 pounds per square
> foot (at five
>> inches thick). Off the top of my head, I think that would be closer
> to 10 pounds per cubic
>> foot than six pounds, but the aforementioned is how I think that a
> bunch of paper,
>> portland, and sand can end up weighing less than a cubic foot of
> tissue paper. It's much
>> less dense than a solid block of tissue paper.
>>
>
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/